UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 126963  
Subject: Left handed houses Date: 11/18/2013 3:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
When you face the front door of your house, the attached garage should be on the right. If it is on the left you have a left handed house.

I have lived in four houses in my career. This is the first left handed house. There are some noticeable effects of left handedness.

My house is one with the family room behind the dining room which is behind the living room. Left of that is two car attached garage with mud room, kitchen, and breakfast nook behind.

Garage extension is right next to front door at edge of the porch. When greeting guests at the front door, it is most convenient to open door with your left hand and greet guests with your right. But in a left handed house, that is not possible. Door must be opened with right hand. Shaking hands requires a crossover maneuver.

One car family in a two car garage with one space filled with the usual lawn mower, tools, and trash/recycling. So car gets parked in the far space from the steps. In a right handed house, driver side door is next to the 2d car space with easy door opening and access to the steps. But left handed house, driver side is on the far side. Garage door must be open to walk around vehicle.

Why not park on the other side? Because steps makes that a smaller parking space.

I think my house is left handed because I have a large sewer manhole in my front yard. If done as a right handed house, manhole would be in the middle of my driveway. Flipping the plan avoided that problem.

But then, privacy issues in the development means that all the houses usually have garages on the same side and porches on the same side (so side windows do not face those of the house next door).

Bottom line: Nearly all the houses in my development are left handed.

When shopping for a house, watch out for the left hander. They are subtle but noticeable different.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement