Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (35) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 259  
Subject: Re: 2 "New" Griswolds Date: 4/6/2011 8:30 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Lemme change that:

We want to minimize the amount of unsaturated fat and maximize polyunsaturated fat, and monounsaturated fat is not too bad, as it at least has 1 double bond... if I'm not mistaken, or am I?

Bob, a quick organic chemistry lesson:
A animal or vegetable oil (fat or grease, which is just a solid oil) is an ester of three fatty acid bound to a glycerin molecule, which is an alcohol with 3 OH groups.

The ester’s bond can be broken by reacting it with water (and usually a caustic such as lye) in a reaction called saponification (s.p.?) This is how soap is made.

A saturated fat or oil is one which has no double bonds in the fatty acid chains. A monounsaturated oil has one double bond among the fatty acid chains. A polyunsaturated oil has more than one double bond among its fatty acid chains.

A double bond is weaker than a single bond and so is more chemically reactive. It can react with iodine, oxygen, etc. especially at higher temperatures. This is the reason that unsaturated oils “smoke” at lower temperatures than saturated oils, like beef fat (tallow).

All that being true, an oil that has many double bonds (the most reactive) would tend to be the best for seasoning cast iron as it would tend to make a harder, more durable finish than an oil with fewer or no double bonds (saturated oil).

The way the iodine number of an oil is determined is that a standardized iodine solution is dripped into an oil that is mixed with a mutual solvent. The iodine will react with the double bonds in the fatty acid chains forming a single C-C bond and two C-I bonds. When there are no more double bonds left, the next drop of the iodine solution will react with an indicator, probably starch, to give a color change in the solution that you are titrating, turning it from colorless to a blue, in the case of a starch indicator. The more of the iodine solution that you use to get to the blue endpoint, the higher the iodine number and the more double bonds of the oil.
;-)

C.J.V. - don’t axe me about triple bonds and resonance, NO!!!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (35) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement