Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFEldrehad Big gold star, 5000 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 182  
Subject: Re: why shorting wins, why long term loses Date: 7/26/2007 11:24 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Lesson 5: I have had a lot of success with patient outperforms, and CAPS is starting to get mature enough that compounding returns help. For instance, Amazon.com is up 24% today as I write, but for my CAPS scorecard I am getting a Score of +44. That's because my gains are compounding on themselves, just like real life.

This is so often overlooked Dave, that I just wanted to chime in and stress just how big of a factor this is going to be over time.

You are right that CAPS is just starting to mature. As CAPS goes, I've been around longer than most, and I've been playing just a bit over a year and am already seeing this. What will happen 5 years out, or 10? Those who make good outperform calls on perennial outperformers will someday be racking up 100 points a day or more on 10% stock movements. Try doing that with an underperform call!

The geeky side of me likes to think of underperform calls as the 'dark side of the force'. In the words of Yoda, in a way they're 'easier, quicker, more seductive'. Over time, though, it is the outperform calls that will prove themselves more powerful.

Underperform calls appear to have the advantage for now precisely because CAPS hasn't been around very long and everyone's CAPS pick list is filled with what are effectively short-term calls. The more time passes, the more we'll see this change.

I'm sure none of this is a new concept to you Dave, but I feel so strongly about this aspect of CAPS that I felt compelled to second your thoughts.

Regards,

Russell
(a.k.a. TMFEldrehad)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement