UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: bufftrainer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1966921  
Subject: Lest he have contact with reality... Date: 10/2/2012 4:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 98
I just watched on TV as Ryan was asked if the 47% might be assessed a modest fee as a minimum income tax so that they might have an interest in American government (because apparently vets, the disabled and SS recipients don't). His response:

"I have another idea. How about we tell them to get a job so they can pay taxes."

Is he aware that 39 of those 47% have a job?
Is he aware that many of those who are unemployed became so as a result of the policies he wants to reinstate?

Either I need to awaken from this bad dream or this guy needs to be sent back to his last "real" job, driving the weiner wagon or whatever it was.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: SGIZ1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1820246 of 1966921
Subject: Re: Lest he have contact with reality... Date: 10/2/2012 5:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
He as well as Romney in his famous hidden video were obviously talking about a segment of the 47%, not the entire 47%.

So to put this in its proper context they are/were not talking about those who have jobs, vets, disabled, and SS recipients.

""Is he aware that many of those who are unemployed became so as a result of the policies he wants to reinstate?""

??? People became unemployed due to the mortgage bust that kicked off recession which led to loss of jobs in the shrinking economy, this mortgage bust was the problem, that was not a republican issue, democrats are the only ones on the record threatening/pressuring lenders in the past to offer more loan programs so more people could qualify for loans, this Democrat pressure led to the creation of high risk loan programs such as sub prime. You can cry about what the industry did with the useless paper after they were written, fact remains they never should have been written in the first place, you can thank liberals/democrats for getting that ball rolling, i mean for inflating that bubble.

Author: bufftrainer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1820247 of 1966921
Subject: Re: Lest he have contact with reality... Date: 10/2/2012 5:03 PM
Recommendations: 16
He as well as Romney in his famous hidden video were obviously talking about a segment of the 47%, not the entire 47%.

What language was he speaking? In English "47%" doesn't mean "5%".

Author: SGIZ1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1820251 of 1966921
Subject: Re: Lest he have contact with reality... Date: 10/2/2012 5:13 PM
"What language was he speaking? In English "47%" doesn't mean "5%". "

Classic (and common) generalization, say 47% but then discuss things than only apply to some of the 47%, thus he was talking about some of the 47%.

Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1820253 of 1966921
Subject: Re: Lest he have contact with reality... Date: 10/2/2012 5:16 PM
Recommendations: 24
Is he aware that 39 of those 47% have a job?
Is he aware that many of those who are unemployed became so as a result of the policies he wants to reinstate?

If Romney had said that, I could believe he was clueless. But I suspect Ryan knows that was a bullsih statement, and is just pumping the GOP meme because it advances his/their agenda of dismantling all federal social spending.

I don't think he's dumb. I do think he's evil, using that word in the secular sense of a "very bad man".

--FY

Author: SGIZ1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1820255 of 1966921
Subject: Re: Lest he have contact with reality... Date: 10/2/2012 5:22 PM
Recommendations: 1
"I don't think he's dumb. I do think he's evil"

We view Obama this way, you have to be evil to want to make people dependant on government as Obama is trying to do.

Author: bufftrainer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1820273 of 1966921
Subject: Re: Lest he have contact with reality... Date: 10/2/2012 6:16 PM
Recommendations: 2
Can't fix stupid.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1820293 of 1966921
Subject: Re: Lest he have contact with reality... Date: 10/2/2012 6:50 PM
Recommendations: 44
We view Obama this way, you have to be evil to want to make people dependant on government as Obama is trying to do.

That's a strawman. Obama is doing no such thing. None of his actions have fostered dependency.

Here's a breakdown of the 47%. It's really a very tricky number because many/most of those folks DO pay taxes of one sort or another (including payroll taxes).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/18/romneys-47-perce...

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/sep/19/business/la-fi-hiltz...

There are more google hits if you're really interested.

This is the key point:

The key number he cited is that 47% of Americans "pay no income tax." The statistic is true as far as it goes, but it doesn't come close to reaching the finish line. In fact, its shock value derives from the legerdemain of focusing solely on the federal income tax. This misleads Romney and his audience into thinking that the group in question is mostly people on a lifelong dole.

The truth is that the vast majority are people who are working or who have worked in the past. Their ranks include millions of Americans who are now retired, living on Social Security and Medicare benefits they paid for throughout their working lives. Many others are those who were booted into culverts by the economic crisis and are today struggling to get back on the road.

Author: goaltender95 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1820310 of 1966921
Subject: Re: Lest he have contact with reality... Date: 10/2/2012 7:44 PM
Trustfund says:

Repub math:

"60% of the time it works 100% of the time"

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1820313 of 1966921
Subject: Re: Lest he have contact with reality... Date: 10/2/2012 7:52 PM
Recommendations: 28
I just watched on TV as Ryan was asked if the 47% might be assessed a modest fee as a minimum income tax so that they might have an interest in American government (because apparently vets, the disabled and SS recipients don't). His response:

"I have another idea. How about we tell them to get a job so they can pay taxes."

------------------

Someone should ask that moron how he justifies living off other people's taxes while condemning those who are unable to work, can't find work, or who are working at such low-paying jobs they can barely make it.

AM

Author: ChrisBuehler Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1820315 of 1966921
Subject: Re: Lest he have contact with reality... Date: 10/2/2012 8:02 PM
Recommendations: 2

I hope Mr. Romney and Mr. Ryan realize the "47%" includes the 491,000 people who made more than $100,000, including 7,000 millionaires, in 2011 and paid no taxes.

http://www.businessinsider.com/7000-millionaires-paid-no-inc...

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/numbers/displayatab.cfm?DocID...

Chris

Author: Wessex99 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1820324 of 1966921
Subject: Re: Lest he have contact with reality... Date: 10/2/2012 9:02 PM
I don't think he's dumb. I do think he's evil, using that word in the secular sense of a "very bad man".

As an atheist, I completely agree. But that aside, isn't Ryan physically just the perfect avatar for Satan?

Wessex

Author: Beridian Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1820331 of 1966921
Subject: Re: Lest he have contact with reality... Date: 10/2/2012 9:34 PM
Recommendations: 1

When all else fails tell lies, exploit peoples fears, and distort reality.

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1820543 of 1966921
Subject: Re: Lest he have contact with reality... Date: 10/3/2012 12:37 PM
When all else fails tell lies, exploit peoples fears, and distort reality.

We are *still* waiting for the WMDs in Iraq to be revealed....

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1820546 of 1966921
Subject: Re: Lest he have contact with reality... Date: 10/3/2012 12:39 PM
Can't fix stupid.

<snip><snip>--FIXED !!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement