UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: Re: VW TDI Date: 9/13/2005 2:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
let me know when you convert over and how involved the cleaning the veggie oil is. I thought abotu buying a Jetta TDI and converting it.

Living in Upstate NY makes practical use limited though - have to use petrol products to preheat the oil to the right temp.

Since the optimal temperature is between 130 degrees and 170 degrees, I'm going to have to heat it even during a Texas Summer. Most solutions involve a second fuel tank/system for the oil. The whole tank is heated via a heat exchanger inside the tank utilizing the engine coolant. The fuel lines are also heated via the coolant traveling to the tank. It's actually a line-within-a-line system. The fuel line is run inside the coolant line. Some people even add electrically heated filter housings.

Common usage involves starting a cold engine on diesel and driving for five or ten minutes until the coolant is hot enough to start warming up the vegetable oil. Then tanks are switched via some type of in-cab control. Then you drive on the oil for a while. A few minutes prior to reaching your destination you switch back over to the diesel tank so that by the time you turn off the engine only diesel is in the lines. That is to insure against starting up a cold engine on the oil next time you fire it up.

It's a simple theory, but from my research seems to be a complex installation. Fortunately there are some small companies producing conversion kits for various vehicles. Someone else mentioned Greasecar. The one I am most interested in is Frybrid. From the ones I have looked at it seems to be the most well engineered, and included a microchip controller to automatically switch tanks for you when adequate coolant temp is reached, and to automatically purge the oil and replace it with diesel in the lines prior to shutdown, in case you forget to manually switch back. It's not what I would call an inexpensive solution, but if you can get a source of good free oil it would pay for itself sooner or later.

Cleaning the oil appears to be pretty straight forward. Heat the oil in a hot water heater for a while to get the moisture out, then just progressively filter it down to five microns or less. Some people go the extra mile and test samples for moisture, various contaminates, acidity, etc.

xtn

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Story Behind the Story
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement