UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: msullyo One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 753672  
Subject: Let the Dems run the show Date: 12/6/2012 7:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I suggest that the Republicans let the Democrats run the show for the next two years. Quit disagreeing with them and let them screw up again. Of course, the Dems and the media will blame the GOP for every problem in America as usual.
If we let the Dems do it their way, many Americans will realize the increasing deficit, higher unemployment rates, and the cliff will be their fault to say the least. The more we disagree and argue with the Dems, the more it will be "our" fault.
The more obvious it becomes that the Dems have screwed things up, in 2014 and 2016 the Republicans may be able to take over the federal government again.
Sully
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658631 of 753672
Subject: Re: Let the Dems run the show Date: 12/6/2012 8:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I suggest that the Republicans let the Democrats run the show for the next two years. Quit disagreeing with them and let them screw up again. Of course, the Dems and the media will blame the GOP for every problem in America as usual.

If we let the Dems do it their way, many Americans will realize the increasing deficit, higher unemployment rates, and the cliff will be their fault to say the least. The more we disagree and argue with the Dems, the more it will be "our" fault.

The more obvious it becomes that the Dems have screwed things up, in 2014 and 2016 the Republicans may be able to take over the federal government again.
Sully
------------------------------------------------------
I am quickly coming to that conclusion, and i'm not talking about letting us go off the fiscal cliff either, republicans will get blamed for that. I'm talking letting them get their tax rate hikes and Obama's other math challenged proposals. Keep the finger prints off and watch the media attempt to blame Reagan and Bush, it gets more ridiculous by the day.

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658677 of 753672
Subject: Re: Let the Dems run the show Date: 12/7/2012 12:18 AM
Recommendations: 1

Not quite.

Continue publicly disagreeing with them. But also publicly commit to not voting against their stuff, and then live up to that commitment.

The only exception would be that if the Republican-controlled House has passed a bill that the Democrat-controlled Senate then won't bother to vote on, the House will similarly not vote on any Senate version of the same bill. It's then in the Democrats' court to allow an up-or-down vote on the House bill, after which the Senate bill will be permitted to pass the house with a minority-in-favor-majority-"present" vote.

Author: tjscott0 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658688 of 753672
Subject: Re: Let the Dems run the show Date: 12/7/2012 2:19 AM
Recommendations: 4
Apparently libertarian Rand Paul agreeds with this approach.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/12/06/sen_rand_p...

I have yet another thought on how we can fix this. Why don't we let the Democrats pass whatever they want? If they are the party of higher taxes, all the Republicans vote present and let the Democrats raise taxes as high as they want to raise them, let Democrats in the Senate raise taxes, let the president sign it and then make them own the tax increase. And when the economy stalls, when the economy sputters, when people lose their jobs, they know which party to blame, the party of high taxes. Let's don't be the party of just almost as high taxes.

Author: JediGALT Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658692 of 753672
Subject: Re: Let the Dems run the show Date: 12/7/2012 6:58 AM
Recommendations: 0
I concur

Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658694 of 753672
Subject: Re: Let the Dems run the show Date: 12/7/2012 8:10 AM
The only problem I have is that a lot of people don't pay attention and don't care. How many times are there surveys of citizens where the majority don't even know which party has control of the House, who the Vice President is, etc.? Pretty much every single one ever taken.

So if the goal is to educate the masses to the Dem's faulty ideology by letting it run rampant and seeing the results then it's probably doomed to fail from the get go. Too many won't learn that lesson, they're practically incapable of learning it!

It's a good idea on paper but we don't live on paper. I'm pessimistic that it will have the desired results. If it were likely to happen you figure the last four years of 0bamunism would have been incredibly unpopular with the electorate... yet a majority of voters actually voted for more of it! Not good.

Author: twopairfullhouse Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658708 of 753672
Subject: Re: Let the Dems run the show Date: 12/7/2012 9:39 AM
Sully,

I would agree with you if we lived in a country with an objective media. Sadly, we live in a country where objective reality gets distorted by the press. Whatever Obama does will be reported as a success, and one that would have been greater were it not for the simple existence of Republicans. Thus, there is nothing that Republicans can do to escape blame, so they have to stick to principle, and fight the good fight even knowing that the media will report that they are hateful, mean-spirited and want to starve children (and take away birth control). It's the nature of the game, and usually the American public has seen through the smoke screen on Election Day. Not this year, though.

Author: decath Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658717 of 753672
Subject: Re: Let the Dems run the show Date: 12/7/2012 10:11 AM
Recommendations: 6
Colovion
It's a good idea on paper but we don't live on paper. I'm pessimistic that it will have the desired results. If it were likely to happen you figure the last four years of 0bamunism would have been incredibly unpopular with the electorate... yet a majority of voters actually voted for more of it! Not good.

I agree. I think the US is hosed and going down the drain rapidly. I hate to admit this, but I'm talking about being a 'doomer' and getting my ducks in a row to live rurally and off the grid.

The other option is to be an 'ex-pat'. I dunno where yet. Chile? Costa Rica? Lot's of details to work out. I don't know how much time we have. Maybe ten years until the inner cities collapse and things go bad even for those of us debt free and retired.

The next 2 years will tell us a lot. It just depends if Obama is as arrogant, power hungry and anti-capilalist as we fear he may be.

decath

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658721 of 753672
Subject: Re: Let the Dems run the show Date: 12/7/2012 10:33 AM
Recommendations: 14
Here's what Krauthammer thinks:

http://legalinsurrection.com/2012/12/republican-house-better...

Obama’s objective is to fracture the Republican majority in the House
Let’s understand President Obama’s strategy in the “fiscal cliff” negotiations. It has nothing to do with economics or real fiscal reform. This is entirely about politics. It’s Phase Two of the 2012 campaign. The election returned him to office. The fiscal-cliff negotiations are designed to break the Republican opposition and grant him political supremacy, something he thinks he earned with his landslide 2.8-point victory margin on Election Day.

This is why he sent Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner to the Republicans to convey not a negotiating offer but a demand for unconditional surrender….

What’s going on here? Having taken Boehner’s sword, and then his shirt, Obama sent Geithner to demand Boehner’s trousers….

What should Republicans do? Stop giving stuff away. If Obama remains intransigent, let him be the one to take us over the cliff. And then let the new House, which is sworn in weeks before the president, immediately introduce and pass a full across-the-board restoration of the Bush tax cuts.

Obama will counter with the usual all-but-the-rich tax cut — as the markets gyrate and the economy begins to wobble under his feet.

Result? We’re back to square one, but with a more level playing field. The risk to Obama will be rising and the debt ceiling will be looming. Most important of all, however, Republicans will still be in possession of their unity, their self-respect — and their trousers.
------------------------------------------------------
I'm so torn on what to do i feel like Natalie Imbruglia.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement