Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMF42 Big red star, 1000 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6  
Subject: Let's Go Dumpster Diving... Date: 2/24/2010 6:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Hi all, let's use this board to ferret through the dumpster and uncover some beaten-down stocks with the goods to once again stand tall. After all, one fool's trash may be another Fool's treasure.

I've used the TMF CAPS screener tool to uncover a list of beaten-down stocks that we can discuss and analyze together. I will quickly run down the criteria I used for the screen, why I chose each one, and the results. From there, let's see where this goes! I have my eye on three in particular that warrant some additional research. I plan on digging in over the next few days and weeks and reporting my findings and analysis on this board. Here goes...

THE SCREENING PARAMETERS
1. % above 52-week low: <20% -- we want the knife to have fallen far before we stick our hands out
2. Wall Street picks: fewer than 5 -- we want the unloved and unwanted, that way we can get a research edge
3. % inside ownership: 5% to 40% -- chances are there are troubles and challenges present, so having management with skin in the game is reassuring
4. P/B ratio: < 1.5 -- if there is trouble, we want to see that there are some assets around if things get worse (dum, dum, dummmmmm)
5. Current price: >$5 -- we hope to avoid butting up against penny stocks
6. CAPS rating: 4 or 5 -- face the music: the CAPS community is smart, lets piggy-back a little

Make some recommendations to tweak these parameters, add or delete, or scrap it all together. For now, it will provide some ideas for us to get going. Without further ado...

THE LUCKY 13
CBIZ, HUVL, IDI, LABL, NAVG, NHC, PIKE, POWL, SCMR, SUSS, SWS, TWGP, UVSP

Let's run with this and when it dies out I will post another list of companies trading near their 52-week lows.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Brookfield Asset Management
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement