UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (43) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 188742  
Subject: Re: Backups for Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. Date: 1/9/2013 7:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Let's see... a standard HD platter is 3.5" diameter so has 9.6 square inches of surface on each side. Subtract out a 1" core (I am deliberately trying to estimate high on the surface area) and that's 8.8 square inches left for data. Two sides, so 17.6 square inches of surface.

The surface area is not important unless the area per bit is the important criterion. But from a safe-deposit-box, it is the volume that matters, so the space required by the core, the motor, the electronics, etc., all do matter. And the 3.5 inch drives are larger than the tapes. My tapes are 4" x 2 5/16 x 3/4" in the plastic box.

A cassette tape is .15 inches wide and runs at 1.875 inches per minute, so has an area of .28 square inches per minute. So a cassette that can play 64 minutes without being turned over has approximately the same recording-surface area as a typical single-platter hard drive.

I am not sure what this has to do with things. The VXA drives are helical scan, and there is no way to turn the tapes over, or to run them backwards. I do not even know if that is possible. You certainly cannot put the tapes in the drive upside down. They are 8mm tapes, not 4mm like the DDS-2 tapes I used in the distant past; those were completely unsatisfactory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VXA
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (43) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement