Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
Our government’s goal should be to bring in revenues of 18.5 percent of G.D.P. and spend about 21 percent of G.D.P....As the math makes clear, this won’t stem our budget deficits; in fact, it will continue them. But assuming even conservative projections about inflation and economic growth, this ratio of revenue to spending will keep America’s debt stable in relation to the country’s economic output.

I wonder why the brilliant Buffett doesn't comment about honest accounting for the government...accounting that most effectively communicates the financial realities (isn't that the whole point of accounting?).

This idea of spending "about 21 percent of GDP" would be great if the government accounted its unfunded liabilities (Medicare, Social Security, government workers' pensions, etc.) the way businesses do. But if they did that, then everyone would see the absurdity of our current situation, and even Buffett and Obama wouldn't be able to hide behind the "tax the rich" charade. I am not an accountant, but I have read multiple sources which state that our current deficits would be roughly 4X greater if the accounting reflected entitlement realities.
Print the post  

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.