Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: chewiekiki Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58635  
Subject: Re: Stress eating Date: 1/14/2005 8:51 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Let's see..... You've got the good teas listed. I like most of the decaf Celestial Seasons (ings?) brand teas except for the "zingers."

I am dealing with SEVERE stress too. I've recently experienced my first migraine, my hair has been known to start falling out, and stress also give me hives and cardiac problems. So let's just say I KNOW stress. :)

The exercise will obviously be a major help for you. The hardest part is going when you are stressing really hard. If I were you, I'd aim for a daily morning workout and then supplement with a very easy workout later in the day if necessary and possible.

When you drink your tea, are you working and dealing with the stuff that's stressing you out, or are you taking that time to try to relax? I'd vote for the second option. I have also found that just 15-20 minutes of meditation once or twice a day has helped a LOT. I don't do some strict Ommmmmmm thing or anything like that, but I sit in a semi-dark room that's quiet and I just concentrate on slowing my breathing and relaxing. When I find my mind racing too much (you don't have to NOT think, but don't dwell on bad stuff), I repeat "I Am Healthy, Happy, Peaceful and Rested." Amazingly, it seems to work really well.

That all being said, I am also on a daily prescription medication to help keep the stress/anxiety from turning into depression. I intend to stay on it for probably another 4 months and then see if I've "kicked it."

Now another thing that might help you with the eating part of it is prepping meals and snacks in advance on a less stressful day. Like making a week's worth of stuff on a weekend afternoon. That way, you will have "no brainer" stuff to eat in the house. If you can keep the unhealthy stuff out of the kitchen, then you will have better odds of munching on something good for you because you won't want to make the effort to go to the store and find something bad. I also find that having a house that is empty of "no brainer" food is really dangerous for me. If it's empty and I HAVE to go to the store, I am unlikely to plan ahead and buy good stuff. I'm more likely to hit a restaurant and order something less healthy off the menu - that's no good!

Let's see.... Periodic stretching and self neck massages during the day could also really help. Or closing your door (if you have one) and shutting your eyes for five minutes or so. Just make sure you set some kind of alarm just in case!

I've also been known to light a small scented candle at my desk during periods of major stress. But you can only do that if your neighbors don't mind and you're not going to get busted for a fire hazard! It was nice and calming though.

Well, good luck. Work on reminding yourself daily how strong you are and that you CAN handle whatever "the worst to come" is. You WILL get through it. Get yourself psyched without building up the dread if you can. It's a good approach. Get strong and stay strong.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Name of the Game: Tax Avoidance
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement