Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: kahunacfa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 166  
Subject: Letter to Warren Buffett-DQ Date: 5/27/2007 10:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
We went there yesterday for lunch, prompting this letter:

26 May 2007

Mr. Warren E. Buffett
Chairman Berkshire Hathaway
Kiewit Plaza
Omaha, Nebraska

Subject: The DQ Experience 12:17 CDT, 13525 College Blvd. Overland Park, Kansas

Dear Mr. Buffett:

Today for lunch my family and I decided to take a break from re-organizing my home investment office and visit a nearby Dairy Queen. Each of us ordered what we wanted from the menu. The total came to a very reasonable sixteen dollars or so. I ordered coffee as I almost always order black coffee for a beverage.

Both of the coffee thermos containers were empty, the regular as well as the decaffeinated. As a point of information, I never order decaffeinated – that would be almost like buying shares of a company that does not pay a dividend. Despite this lack of a dividend, I am a shareholder of Berkshire Hathaway. I bought some class B shares some time ago at $2,700 per share. The shares have done OK, but not nearly as well as the A.T. Cross & Company (ATX) shares I bought at $3.95 per share in December 2005, or the rest of my stock portfolio. I bought A.T. Cross(ATX) at $3.95 because the shares were selling at a slight discount to the company's $4.13 per share book-value, and most important of all, I love Cross pens - especially their fountain pens. I use one nearly every day.

Back to the Dairy Queen experience. At 12:17 there was no coffee available at the College Boulevard DQ. I told one of the workers there and even handed them the empty thermos. I waited for what I consider a reasonable time – twenty-five minutes for the coffee to become available – it never happened.

I went back to where the self-service beverage units were located, still no coffee. OK, I will get a substitute product – a cherry coke. Too Bad, So Sad – no Cherry Coke. Only inferior Pepsi products were available. I settled for water. We left after finishing my caffeine deficient lunch and went back to reorganize the Kahuna, CFA home investment office.

I might add that there was no suggestion box, or a card of the unit's manager anywhere in sight. Had there been a suggestion box, I would not be sending you this open letter.

S/n Kahuna,CFA

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement