UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: jjjjoe Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75594  
Subject: leveraged index funds Date: 11/16/2001 4:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am thinking about starting a Roth IRA and using an index fund based on the S&P 500. Does anyone know what a fund leveraged at 150% has or doesn't have that a fund leveraged at 200% has or doesn't have. I am a little in the dark about the whole leverage thing in general. any input would be appreciated.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jbking Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32563 of 75594
Subject: Re: leveraged index funds Date: 11/16/2001 4:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Greetings jjjoe,

I am thinking about starting a Roth IRA and using an index fund based on the S&P 500. Does anyone know what a fund leveraged at 150% has or doesn't have that a fund leveraged at 200% has or doesn't have.

Let's call the 150% leveraged fund A and the 200% leveraged fund B. Now, to go broke assuming leverage works in reality as it does in theory fund A needs to have the index decline 75% while fund B needs only a 50% decline. Of course on the upside, the 200% goes a bit further in theory.

I am a little in the dark about the whole leverage thing in general. any input would be appreciated.

Then check out this thread on the Index Funds board that I think covers things pretty well:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15178525

http://news.morningstar.com/doc/article/0,1,2768,00.html has some other notes on Leveraged Funds although it may require free registration at Morningstar's site.

HTH,
JB

Author: jjjjoe Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32565 of 75594
Subject: Re: leveraged index funds Date: 11/16/2001 5:18 PM
Recommendations: 0
Thanks a ton for the info. I am no longer in the dark. I am actually beginning to make out shapes and I think I see the beginnings of daylight.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement