UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: WatchingTheHerd Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5902  
Subject: Levon Helm -- The Last Encore Date: 4/18/2012 9:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
In case you hadn't seen this story, Levon Helm's family announced he is the "final stages" of his battle with cancer. You may recall he underwent treatment in the early 2000s for cancer in his vocal cords and managed to beat back that occurance and get back to performing in his small scale but world-famous "Midnight Ramble" concerts in his barn up in Woodstock.

I don't mean this as a backhanded compliment but as a true compliment. I've never been the biggest fan of the Band's music. I always thought their performances were always a bit too enthusiastic. A little too exuberant. At the same time, any conversation I've ever seen with Levon Helm -- either from The Last Waltz, historical clips on YouTube or a profile on CBS Saturday Morning a few years back -- showed how absolutely transparent and genuine Levon has always been. He simply likes music, likes the history reflected in music, likes drumming, likes people, and likes performing for people. Everything else is just fluff.

At this point, he can hopefully get some comfort from knowing how much enjoyment he's brought to fans of his work and how much respect he commands from people who know the difference between true artists and people merely answering casting calls for pre-fab pabulum -- the musical equivalent of pink slime.

WTH
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement