UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: obsidian7150 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 341  
Subject: LGBT Financial Planner Date: 9/20/2010 11:51 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi Fools,

My partner and I are planning a wedding in the next year, and we're looking for a financial planner and a lawyer in the Chicago area that can help us sort through what we need to do to protect each other and be set up for success.

Any suggestions for either individual people or resources?

Thanks!

Gina
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFBro Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 327 of 341
Subject: Re: LGBT Financial Planner Date: 9/21/2010 8:42 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Hi, Gina.

Check out the Garrett Planning Network. They have several in the Chicago area: http://garrettplanningnetwork.com/content/view/190/. Tell them The Motley Fool sent you, and you'll get a 10% discount.

Best,
Robert

Author: BruceCM Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 328 of 341
Subject: Re: LGBT Financial Planner Date: 9/26/2010 1:01 PM
I'd second Robert's suggestion of the Garrett FP network. This is a pure fee-only organization, that minimizes...but does not necessarily eliminate...most conflicts of interest. I'd also make sure that the advisor you retain has the CFP or CPA credentials, as this insures the advisor has at least fundamental training in personal finance.

One other site you might check is www.napfa.org. This too is a fee-only group, but as such its members are also compensated by a percentage of your assets they manage, which means they tend to gravitate towards those clients with lots of investment $$. Nothing particularly wrong with this, although there is a potential conflict with your interests, by keeping your assets investable rather than in some other form, such as real estate equity, a gift trust or a life annuity.

BruceM

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement