UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (46) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mapletree7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 62972  
Subject: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 2:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 11
This thread is for stories of liberal millionaires, whether self-made or not.

First nomination: Bill Gates and Bill Gates Sr.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_gates

Bill Gates created one of the most well-endowed philanthropic organizations in the country, which supports sterotypically 'liberal' causes:
The foundation's grants have provided funds for college scholarships for under-represented minorities, AIDS prevention, diseases prevalent in third world countries, and other causes. In 2000, the Gates Foundation endowed the University of Cambridge with $210 million for the Gates Cambridge Scholarships. The Foundation has also pledged over $7 billion to its various causes, including $1 billion to the United Negro College Fund.

Bill Gates Sr. vocally supports the inheritance tax.

"GATES: It's just such a fair tax. I mean, it's just such an opportune, appropriate time to have repaid from the people who have benefitted more than anyone else from the circumstances that this country makes available, from the conditions that make it possible to become....

There's nowhere else in the world, nowhere else in the world, that people can accrue the kind of fortunes that happen here. And that's because of the kind of country we have.

And the kind of country we have is a function of the taxes that we pay to provide security, we have a stable market, you can predict next week will be pretty much like the week before. "

http://www.pbs.org/now/transcript/transcript_inheritance.html
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: mapletree7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1158 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 2:49 PM
Recommendations: 3
THe next liberal millionaire is a Canadian, an immigrant to North America, and a Sikh.

Politican Herb Dhaliwal.

After graduating from the University of British Columbia with a Bachelor of Commerce degree, he started a maintenance company out of his basement. He became a self-made millionaire with diversified business interests including transportation, maintenance and real estate development.

He was first elected to the Canadian House of Commons in the 1993 election as the Liberal Member of Parliament (MP) for Vancouver South.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herb_Dhaliwal

The Liberal Party of Canada (French: Parti libéral du Canada), colloquially known as the Grits (originally "Clear Grits"), is a Canadian federal political party positioned around the centre of the political spectrum, combining a progressive social policy with moderate economics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_Party_of_Canada

Author: mapletree7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1161 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 2:54 PM
John Edwards, former vice-presidential candidate, and self-made millionaire as a trial lawyer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_edwards

June 10, 1953 to Wallace R. Edwards and Kathryn Juanita Wade in Seneca, South Carolina. The family moved several times during Edwards' childhood, eventually settling in Robbins, North Carolina, where his father worked in a textile mill and his mother was a postal employee. Edwards was the first person in his family to attend college. He first attended Clemson University and later transferred to North Carolina State University.

Edwards and law partner David Kirby earned the Association of Trial Lawyers of America's national award for public service.

Author: mapletree7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1167 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 3:00 PM
Recommendations: 2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_McAuliffe

Terry McAuliffe, self-made millionaire and Democratic party leader.

McAuliffe also has been a successful entrepreneur since he started his first business, McAuliffe Driveway Maintenance, when he was 14 years old.

He is an attorney and is licensed to practice in the District of Columbia and the United States Supreme Court. He has successfully started over two-dozen companies in the fields of banking, insurance, marketing, and real estate. McAuliffe served as Chairman of the Federal City National Bank by the age of 30.

Author: mapletree7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1169 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 3:02 PM
Christopher Gabrieli is a Hungarian-American businessman and three-time political candidate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Gabrieli

Gabrieli's parents were Hungarian immigrants Elmér Gabrieli (a physician; d. 2000) and Lilla Elizabeth (Eross) (d. 2006). Chris Gabrieli was born in Buffalo, New York in 1960. He has one brother, John, an MIT professor. After graduating from Harvard College, he was forced to drop out of Columbia University's medical school to save his family's business, a healthcare system software company, from bankruptcy.[2]

Gabrieli spent 15 years at Bessemer Venture Partners, investing in and helping innovative young businesses succeed. During his time there, he invested over $1 billion in the economy.

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1170 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 3:04 PM
Recommendations: 0
Maple, I'm out of recs now.

Author: patchdodd Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1173 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 3:07 PM
The Gates probably aren't liberal by any traditional measure. They are more along the lines of pacific-northwest-republicans. Solid moderates. The seniors were active in Republican politics, junior not-so-much, but his political giving has been Republican oriented.

I don't think Gates can really be classified as much of anything. I get the idea that his involvement with poverty is more from a standpoint of the challenge it presents. I guess that the end justifies the motivation.

Interesting topic.

Author: brewer12345 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1183 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 3:29 PM
The Gates probably aren't liberal by any traditional measure. They are more along the lines of pacific-northwest-republicans. Solid moderates. The seniors were active in Republican politics, junior not-so-much, but his political giving has been Republican oriented.

My suspicion is that the giving has been driven by who controls the reins of power, rather than by the Gates' political views.

Author: tenworlds Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1188 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 3:37 PM

My suspicion is that the giving has been driven by who controls the reins of power, rather than by the Gates' political views.

-----

Melinda?

Author: tootru Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1189 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 3:37 PM

I gotcher back.

t.

LBMR

Author: mapletree7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1191 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 3:41 PM

OK, I'll hold off until tomorrow.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1195 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 3:43 PM

The seniors were active in Republican politics, junior not-so-much, but his political giving has been Republican oriented.

-----

Melinda?

i think Melinda for the charitable stuff.

...i think he's saying the political giving is based on Bidness ..... most bidness gives to both parties, but a bit more to the one in power.

=

Author: jgc123 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1198 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 3:46 PM
"...i think he's saying the political giving is based on Bidness ..... most bidness gives to both parties, but a bit more to the one in power."

That's the way it was when I was at a bigger firm. One of the joys of a founding a smaller firm it being able to give what I want when I want to whom I want without regard for politics. One of the drawbacks is having a less to give...

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1199 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 3:47 PM
I gotcher back.

You say that now, but later you'll divorce me, rob me blind and falsely accuse me of rape.

Bich.

Author: markr33 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1202 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 3:51 PM
George Soros

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_soros

Author: markr33 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1203 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 3:52 PM
Warren Buffett

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Buffett

Author: markr33 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1204 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 3:52 PM
Edward Moore "Ted" Kennedy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_kennedy

Author: markr33 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1205 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 3:53 PM
John Forbes Kerry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_kerry

Author: tootru Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1207 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 3:54 PM
You say that now, but later you'll divorce me, rob me blind and falsely accuse me of rape.

Only if you don't let me sit on the sofa and eat bonbons and watch soap operas all day.

Oh, and get yer own dinner too.

t.

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1208 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 3:55 PM
Recommendations: 44

Gates wears his politics close to his sleeve, but has supported some issues like family planning, and gun control. Presumably Microsoft wouldn't support anything that Gates personally opposed and Microsoft has lobbied locally for school and road levies, things like that. Microsoft also famously supported a local gay rights bill, then withdrew its support after national hate groups threatened a boycott against Microsoft. But Gates and Ballmer issued a statement that said they still personally supported the bill. For its part Microsoft has long been considered a gay friendly work place and has won many awards for its progressive policies. For the most part, those are issues that would associated with the Democratic party.

On other issues, Gates and MSFT seem to take a more traditionally conservative approach, occasionally supporting Republican candidates or issues. I think it might be most accurate to say Gates is fiscal conservative and a social liberal, and most certainly a pragmatist.

But that just shows how silly the post that triggered this whole discussion really is. The poster (and several sh*t stirrers here) seem to be believe that there is the big monolith called "Liberals" and everybody they call a liberal believes the same things, and course none of htem become millionaires unless they are lucky because liberals are incapable investing and hard work. They know this because Rush said so.

In the real world, it is possible to be for one thing and against another, and understand the merits of idea but reject it based on its costs, or why pragmatism my be favored or dogma, etc. etc. I don't know why those concepts are so difficult for some people, but they sure seem to be.

Author: patchdodd Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1210 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 3:59 PM
.i think he's saying the political giving is based on Bidness ..... most bidness gives to both parties, but a bit more to the one in power.

That was my impression from Brewer's post too, but it really doesn't apply to Gates. His giving has been fairly consistent for the last 15 years, despite usually having Democratic senators and a Democratic president for many of them.

It's just really hard to classify the Gates. They are nearly the definition of moderation.

i think Melinda for the charitable stuff

I agree. I have a hard time thinking of Junior as being all that empathetic. I don't think his mind really works that way.

Author: vickifool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1211 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 4:01 PM

OK, I'll hold off until tomorrow.

Thanks. I never ran out of recs before. And it's just noon.

Vickifool

Author: GusSmed Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1219 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 4:13 PM
Only famous ones?

I'm technically a millionaire now. I passed $1M in net worth this last week. I don't have quite that much in invested assets, since it includes about $100K in estimated house equity.

I did not inherit any of it, nor did I get particularly lucky in investing. I was simply well paid and married to another professional, and we saved over half our combined salaries.

- Gus

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1227 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 4:27 PM
Recommendations: 1

i think Melinda for the charitable stuff

I agree. I have a hard time thinking of Junior as being all that empathetic. I don't think his mind really works that way.

i saw an interview of the two of them recently ....

He really did seem empathetic, but surprisingly inarticulate about it. ....
Seemed the emotion was there, but not the thought .... that she's the idea person... the decider to some extent, but he's all for the results.

like he really cares, "how can we help reduce poverty?" ... just that the problems don't Compute . So she thinks about the directions and implementations. (She did a great riff on how just a little health care ripples into better education, then less population growth, then even better health care, less poverty, much less misery)

.....or, i could be entirely FOS

=

Author: GusSmed Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1229 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 4:29 PM
He really did seem empathetic, but surprisingly inarticulate about it.

I've heard the unfounded rumor that he's borderline Asperger's.

- Gus

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1231 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 4:34 PM

made me look ..it up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger%27s#Characteristics

..fits with what i've seen of him.

-
.... a lot of it fits me as well

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1233 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 4:46 PM

I believe the technical term is nerd.

Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1234 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 4:51 PM
My rec would be for Jared Polis. Made a fortune creating an online card site and then sold it to Yahoo! He's been stirring up Colorado polotics ever since. Has the right wing in Colorado all tied up in knots. Of course, since thier entire agenda was Guns, God, and Gays, they didn't help themselves much.

Author: tootru Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1247 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 5:39 PM
My rec would be for Jared Polis.

Is that the Blue Mountain Arts person? I loved those cards and once bought a couple handfulls while on a layover at DIA.

t.

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1254 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 6:21 PM
I'm technically a millionaire now. I passed $1M in net worth this last week. I don't have quite that much in invested assets, since it includes about $100K in estimated house equity.

Congratulations. That's a lot of dough.

Author: GusSmed Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1263 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 6:59 PM

Thanks. It's kind of unreal, actually.

- Gus

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1268 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 7:02 PM

I can only imagine. If you count the value of the houses, I'm more than halfway there...if not, well....NOT!

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1272 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 7:05 PM

yup.

and kind of cool....

i broke 1M a few months ago ...but too much of that is equity in my house bubble to go post at Millionaire-Foos

=
....... that the non-house part is still growing while i don't have a salary is very comforting.

Author: GusSmed Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1273 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 7:07 PM
If you count the value of the houses, I'm more than halfway there

I figure you can count house equity in your primary home only if you have a definite idea how much you'll spend on your retirement home. I.e. if you plan on $200K for a house in a reasonably market (not Boston) plus for $1M for income, you can count your equity. If you're willing to move when the time comes.

But in your case, you're talking about investment property. Property you own for income reasons. Yes, you can count that value, just as you can count unrealized gains in stocks.

- Gus

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1274 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 7:10 PM

I can only imagine. If you count the value of the houses, I'm more than halfway there...if not, well....NOT!

that's cool....

i think at your age, my net worth was MINUS 80k or so.

... think one shouldn't really count the house you live in , but count the others (trying to minimize any inflated appreciation)

=

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1277 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 7:14 PM
But in your case, you're talking about investment property. Property you own for income reasons. Yes, you can count that value, just as you can count unrealized gains in stocks.

Woohoo ;)

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1278 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 7:16 PM

I figure you can count house equity in your primary home only if you have a definite idea how much you'll spend on your retirement home. I.e. if you plan on $200K for a house in a reasonably market (not Boston) plus for $1M for income, you can count your equity. If you're willing to move when the time comes.

if thinking about <enough to ree-tire?> .... i'd be a bit more cautious ...

i watched (& actually benefited from) RE bubble pop here a few years ago. ...

of course, same is true of stocks (which is why i'm about 1/3 "bonds" ...and inching that up)

=

Author: ogrecat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1284 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 8:06 PM
----------------------------

If I figure in the imputed pension value, I come in over a million.

Author: jgc123 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1287 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 8:21 PM
"i broke 1M a few months ago ...but too much of that is equity in my house bubble to go post at Millionaire-Foos"

Confession. Same boat. How do you count equity in a one story brick house which had a $108,000 assessment increase last year as a real net worth increase unless you sell the house?

After my cmgi fiasco, I am not willing to retire on that kind of 'wealth'.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1291 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 8:35 PM

Confession. Same boat. How do you count equity in a one story brick house which had a $108,000 assessment increase last year as a real net worth increase unless you sell the house?

as Gus said ....

you take the actual value of the house (not assessed ...i watch transactions in the neighborhood) minus what you owe on the mortgage.

subtract a liberal amount for bubble, a bit more for Uncertainty, then a bit more for transaction costs.

then subtract what you'd pay for a house you'd be willing to move to.

..... result : about a buck eighty.

in my case, for calculating "enough to survive retirement?" i use zero.... maybe i should bump that to $18.50

for the sake of saying, "neener neener i'm a LIBERAL millionaire", i use 95% of price of recent sale in my neighborhood.

=b

Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1294 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 8:38 PM
skyesix: I believe the technical term is nerd.

Out of recs. Catch you tomorrow.

cliff

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1295 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 8:41 PM
Recommendations: 4
<<This thread is for stories of liberal millionaires, whether self-made or not.

First nomination: Bill Gates and Bill Gates Sr.
>>

By that standard, Andrew Carnegie was a liberal because he funded all those libraries. Never mind the wars he had with labor unions.

Speaking of labor unions, I imagine Microsoft has been organized by a union since Bill is so liberal?

Seattle Pioneer

Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1302 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/7/2007 9:08 PM
GusSmed says

Only famous ones?

I did not inherit any of it, nor did I get particularly lucky in investing. I was simply well paid and married to another professional, and we saved over half our combined salaries.

That pretty much describes me as well, for what it's worth. But being a millionaire ain't what it used to be. It means you're well-off, but it doesn't mean you're filthy rich. The famous guys that have been mentioned are multi-millionaires at least, and in some cases billionaires.

crassfool

Author: LtUhura Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1392 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/8/2007 1:46 PM

As the mother of a kid with Asperger's, I'd say... oh, hell yeah. I've also heard the Gates has AS rumor for years, and the same for Spike Lee.

FWIW, it's "high functioning," not "borderline."

Uhura

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1419 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/8/2007 4:18 PM
GusSmed writes,

<<He {Bill Gates} really did seem empathetic, but surprisingly inarticulate about it.>>

</snip>

Doesn't that describe a lot of techies? Some are blaming the epidemic of autism and Asperger's in Silicon Valley on the fact that techies are mating with more frequency today.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aspergers_pr.html

intercst

Author: ogrecat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1458 of 62972
Subject: Re: Liberal Millionaires Date: 2/8/2007 9:21 PM
Doesn't that describe a lot of techies? Some are blaming the epidemic of autism and Asperger's in Silicon Valley on the fact that techies are mating with more frequency today.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aspergers_pr.html

intercst

From the article:

As teenagers, they're prone to getting into trouble with teachers and other figures of authority, partly because the subtle cues that define societal hierarchies are invisible to them.
===================================
That's why retiring was such a relief, I never did see those cues.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (46) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement