Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: stockmover Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19326  
Subject: Life Date: 2/9/2014 12:47 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 31
I just received this from a very good friend of mine. Forgive me if it has been posted before. It made me think, and at my age ~ that's a good thing.

LUNCH and then it was winter

I FIRST STARTED READING THIS EMAIL & WAS READING FAST UNTIL I REACHED THE THIRD SENTENCE. I STOPPED AND STARTED OVER READING SLOWER AND THINKING ABOUT EVERY WORD. THIS EMAIL IS VERY THOUGHT PROVOKING. MAKES YOU STOP AND THINK. READ SLOWLY!

AND THEN IT IS WINTER

You know. . . Time has a way of moving quickly and catching you unaware of the passing years. It seems just yesterday that I was young, just married and embarking on my new life with my mate. Yet in a way, it seems like eons ago, and I wonder where all the years went. I know that I lived them all. I have glimpses of how it was back then and of all my hopes and dreams.

But, here it is... The winter of my life and it catches me by surprise...How did I get here so fast? Where did the years go and where did my youth go? I remember well seeing older people through the years and thinking that those older people were years away from me and that winter was so far off that I could not fathom it or imagine fully what it would be like.

But, here it is...my friends are retired and getting grey...they move slower and I see an older person now. Some are in better and some worse shape than me...but, I see the great change...Not like the ones that I remember who were young and vibrant...but, like me, their age is beginning to show and we are now those older folks that we used to see and never thought we'd be. Each day now, I find that just getting a shower is a real target for the day! And taking a nap is not a treat anymore... it's mandatory! Cause if I don't on my own free will... I just fall asleep where I sit!

And so...now I enter into this new season of my life unprepared for all the aches and pains and the loss of strength and ability to go and do things that I wish I had done but never did!! But, at least I know, that though the winter has come, and I'm not sure how long it will last...this I know, that when it's over on this earth...its over. A new adventure will begin!

Yes, I have regrets. There are things I wish I hadn't done...things I should have done, but indeed, there are many things I'm happy to have done. It's all in a lifetime.

So, if you're not in your winter yet...let me remind you, that it will be here faster than you think. So, whatever you would like to accomplish in your life please do it quickly! Don't put things off too long!! Life goes by quickly. So, do what you can today, as you can never be sure whether this is your winter or not! You have no promise that you will see all the seasons of your life...so, live for today and say all the things that you want your loved ones to remember...and hope that they appreciate and love you for all the things that you have done for them in all the years past!!

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after. Make it a fantastic one.

LIVE IT WELL!

ENJOY TODAY!

DO SOMETHING FUN!

BE HAPPY !

HAVE A GREAT DAY

Remember "It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.

LIVE HAPPILY IN 2014

LASTLY, CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING:

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,

YET THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE SO - ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

? Your kids are becoming you......but your grandchildren are perfect!

? Going out is good.. Coming home is better!

?You forget names.... But it's OK because other people forgot they even knew you!!!

? You realize you're never going to be really good at anything.... Especially golf.

? The things you used to care to do, you no longer care to do, but you really do care that you don't care to do them anymore.

? You sleep better on a lounge chair with the TV blaring than in bed. It's called "pre-sleep".

?You miss the days when everything worked with just an "ON" and "OFF" switch.

? You tend to use more 4 letter words ... "what?"..."when?"... ???

? Now that you can afford expensive jewelry, it's not safe to wear it anywhere.

? You notice everything they sell in stores is "sleeveless"?!!!

? What used to be freckles are now liver spots.

? Everybody whispers.

? You have 3 sizes of clothes in your closet.... 2 of which you will never wear.

But Old is good in some things:

?.... Old Songs,

?.... Old movies, and best of all,

?.... OLD FRIENDS!!

Stay well, "OLD FRIEND!"

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jrdown Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18951 of 19326
Subject: Re: Life Date: 2/9/2014 6:32 PM
Recommendations: 0
Paragraph three hit home and is so true. I will focus on trying to live well and happily.

Robyn

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18952 of 19326
Subject: Re: Life Date: 2/10/2014 8:57 AM
Recommendations: 1
That was beautiful.
I just turned 65 and what a shock to be old enough to go on Medicare.
I used to get very impatient while waiting on line at the grocery store if I happened to get behind an elderly person who took too long to count out their change.
I am now THAT person!

Author: ResN Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18953 of 19326
Subject: Re: Life Date: 2/10/2014 4:56 PM
Recommendations: 0
I don't usually read stuff like this, but I'm glad I read this one. It fairly well wraps up exactly what I've been living through for a few years now. Yes, we're getting older, and I for one want to enjoy it as best I can while I can. I'm not talking about spending and traveling, just living life as it comes and enjoying each day.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18954 of 19326
Subject: Re: Life Date: 2/10/2014 5:44 PM
Recommendations: 4
This is the typical complaint of the educated American with no religious faith who thinks that if they don't chow down on every last luxury, they have missed something in life.

Of course, for thusands of years MOST people with religious faith EXPECTED this life to be a veil of tears and expected nothing better.

Personally, as an atheist I'm not interested in consuming as much in the way of luxuries as I can.

To me, luxuries are like a spice, to be used judiciously to enhance life.

I have a number of luxuries that I value, such as being RETIRED, having a house that I own and enjoy, having a car and bicycle I can use for transportation and such.

I have more food than I can eat and more money than I can to spend.

I don't need to make a pig of myself by trying out every sensation someone is promoting.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18955 of 19326
Subject: Re: Life Date: 2/11/2014 6:51 AM
Recommendations: 7
This is the typical complaint of the educated American with no religious faith who thinks that if they don't chow down on every last luxury, they have missed something in life.

That statement is SO not true. You have described many people I know. They are highly educated. They may or may not practice any particular religion but that does not make them bad people whatsoever.

Author: TMFHockeypop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18956 of 19326
Subject: Re: Life Date: 2/12/2014 6:52 AM
Recommendations: 3
Then there's this (line breaks and bold is mine -- although I enjoy the entire poem):

Ulysses
Alfred Lord Tennyson

It little profits that an idle king,
By this still hearth, among these barren crags,
Matched with an aged wife, I mete and dole
Unequal laws unto a savage race,
That hoard, and sleep, and feed, and know not me.

I cannot rest from travel: I will drink
Life to the lees:
all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone; on shore, and when
Through scudding drifts the rainy Hyades
Vest the dim sea: I am become a name;

For always roaming with a hungry heart
Much have I seen and known; cities of men
And manners, climates, councils, governments,
Myself not least, but honoured of them all;
And drunk delight of battle with my peers;
Far on the ringing plains of windy Troy.

I am part of all that I have met;
Yet all experience is an arch wherethrough
Gleams that untravelled world, whose margin fades
For ever and for ever when I move.

How dull it is to pause, to make an end,
To rust unburnished, not to shine in use!
As though to breath were life.
Life piled on life
Were all to little, and of one to me
Little remains: but every hour is saved
From that eternal silence, something more,
A bringer of new things; and vile it were
For some three suns to store and hoard myself,
And this gray spirit yearning in desire
To follow knowledge like a sinking star,
Beyond the utmost bound of human thought.

This is my son, mine own Telemachus,
To whom I leave the scepter and the isle
Well-loved of me, discerning to fulfill
This labour, by slow prudence to make mild
A rugged people, and through soft degrees
Subdue them to the useful and the good.
Most blameless is he, centered in the sphere
Of common duties, decent not to fail
In offices of tenderness, and pay
Meet adoration to my household gods,
When I am gone. He works his work, I mine.

There lies the port; the vessel puffs her sail:
There gloom the dark broad seas. My mariners,
Souls that have toiled, and wrought, and thought with me
That ever with a frolic welcome took
The thunder and the sunshine, and opposed
Free hearts, free foreheads you and I are old;
Old age had yet his honour and his toil;

Death closes all: but something ere the end,
Some work of noble note, may yet be done,
Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.

The lights begin to twinkle from the rocks:
The long day wanes: the slow moon climbs: the deep
Moans round with many voices. Come, my friends,
'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.

It may be that the gulfs will wash us down:
It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
We are not now that strength which in the old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are,
One equal-temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Ulysses
Alfred Lord Tennyson

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18957 of 19326
Subject: Re: Life Date: 2/12/2014 10:46 AM
Recommendations: 11
Personally, as an atheist I'm not interested in consuming as much in the way of luxuries as I can.

I'm not certain how atheism relates to enjoying or refraining from luxuries.

To me, luxuries are like a spice, to be used judiciously to enhance life.

People are similar, but not identical. To many, your life is one continuous luxury as you don't need to worry where your next meal is coming from or how to deal with serious health issues. To some, your life is one of denial--missing out on travel, professional arts performances/exhibits, a loving spouse.

I don't need to make a pig of myself by trying out every sensation someone is promoting.

I don't think anyone tries everything, but many people try different things than you have. Like you, I enjoy cooking from scratch. Unlike you, I'm glad I've tried skiing, sailing, smoking weed, playing a musical instrument somewhat proficiently in numerous orchestras and chamber groups, a helicopter ride over Kauai, bush planes over the Okavango Delta (cue the music from Out of Africa-), experiencing new places, new foods, nice wine. I especially enjoy being married...the continuous companionship with my best friend, frequent sex with someone who knows what I like and vv, the wonder of this handsome man actually wanting to be with me, his look of wonder & joy that I want him too. I would do without anything, even adequate money, rather than do without love. Which reminds me what a luxury it was that my children lived long enough to know well all of their grandparents and 2 of their great-grandparents.

ASIDE
Current luxuries I'm enjoying…...watching the Winter Olympics on my brother's 65" plasma TV (as a thank-you, I'm cooking dinner for him every day, and thanking me back, he shoved a $100 bill in my hands for fixing nicer meals than he enjoys on his own), reading Robin Hood fan fiction (based on the recent BBC series) online for free, listening to my favorite music from film scores for free on Youtube. And the luxury of no debt, owning my home and RV, wondering how to invest the money from expiring CDs (it's a luxury to have such a worry), and knowing I leave good children and grandchildren behind when I shuffle off this mortal coil. As usual, this morning the hubster fixed us breakfast in bed after inquiring what I would like today. He smiled with the pride of doing esteemed service as he entered the bedroom, placed the tray of homemade lattes, buckwheat pancakes with homemade blueberry sauce, and banana-kefir smoothies, and snuggled next to me. I glowed in appreciation and love. And turned on the heated mattress pad as it's chilly this morning. And now we have the luxury of surfing the web before I get back to another delicious story of Lady Marian and Sir guy of Gisborne--and the Olympics (I wonder, has anyone written a modern-day fanfic of Sir GUy doing archery at the Summer Olympics ;-)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement