Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19021  
Subject: Life Alert Systems? Date: 7/8/2013 6:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Since I live alone, I am having thoughts that I could have something catastrophic happen and my dogs would be left in the house with no one to care for them. So I am looking at some of my options.

One could be that I could ask trusted neighbors if they don't see my activity on FB by 10a.m, they need to check on me.

Another could be a Life Alert system. I already have ADT, but the basic charge for their alert would be $30 a month. Life Alert covers only 150', hopefully enough for my 2 story colonial house. It costs $20 a month.

Any one try any of these systems? There are really quite a few.

Birgit - I am cross posting this on the Old Geezers board.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18464 of 19021
Subject: Re: Life Alert Systems? Date: 7/9/2013 9:09 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
My preference is always for the service supported or advocated by a local entity. In my mother's case the local Visiting Nurses Assoc. provided the service. Where I live now the local hospital does that. In both cases we're talking small communitites. Now sure how it works in large cities.

The first question I'd ask is how many customers do they have in your area. If they're just a small player in the market they may not pay much attention to it.

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18465 of 19021
Subject: Re: Life Alert Systems? Date: 7/9/2013 9:52 AM
The hospital provides a Life Alert system? I was thinking more in the line of "I've Fallen Down and Can't Get Up". I am not *that* old yet, still in my seventies. But c..p happens

Just asking if anyone has had experience with any of these companies.

Birgit

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18466 of 19021
Subject: Re: Life Alert Systems? Date: 7/9/2013 11:52 AM
Recommendations: 1
The hospital provides a Life Alert system?

It did in Topeka, KS. That's what my parents used. Can't hurt to check in your area.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18467 of 19021
Subject: Re: Life Alert Systems? Date: 7/9/2013 3:45 PM
Thanks! I will look into that. I had no idea.

Birgit

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18468 of 19021
Subject: Re: Life Alert Systems? Date: 7/9/2013 5:15 PM
Recommendations: 3
<<Since I live alone, I am having thoughts that I could have something catastrophic happen and my dogs would be left in the house with no one to care for them. >>

Don't worry about it. YOU are their emergency food supply.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18469 of 19021
Subject: Re: Life Alert Systems? Date: 7/10/2013 8:12 PM
Recommendations: 5
Decades before Life Alert, elderly people used a simple system - they called and said Hello each day. No call from Sam or Sue - something likely wrong. Call authorities. My grandparents used this in their trailer park in the 50s. They actually had more than one call set - don't know how many times per day, but it was at least a morning and afternoon deal with different folks.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18470 of 19021
Subject: Re: Life Alert Systems? Date: 7/10/2013 11:15 PM
Decades before Life Alert, elderly people used a simple system - they called and said Hello each day. No call from Sam or Sue - something likely wrong.

That's pretty much what I have in place now. My across the hall neighbor checks in with me at least once a day. When I had to update my list of emergency contacts/medical proxies/POA, etc. I called her my "Body Finder."

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: culcha Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18471 of 19021
Subject: Re: Life Alert Systems? Date: 7/11/2013 7:41 AM
Decades before Life Alert, elderly people used a simple system - they called and said Hello each day. No call from Sam or Sue - something likely wrong. Call authorities. My grandparents used this in their trailer park in the 50s. They actually had more than one call set - don't know how many times per day, but it was at least a morning and afternoon deal with different folks.

And these days, with cell phones, that's an even easier plan ...

culcha

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18472 of 19021
Subject: Re: Life Alert Systems? Date: 7/11/2013 2:48 PM
Recommendations: 7

Meanwhile you are laying on the kitchen floor, having a mild stroke. You were making soup at the time, so the stove is on, merrily boiling the soup away into stew, then goulash, finally crispy critters, and possibly house fire.

Hopefully, someone will call you in the next eight hours, and if you don't answer, will automatically assume you are in trouble, not that you are just in the bathroom, down the hall doing laundry, or at the store picking up root beer.

Perhaps they'll try again tomorrow, by which time the oxygen will have left your brain and your kitchen will have burned down.

I think the $20 a month is worth it, my father has it (different brand, same deal) and when I get to any point where I am close to it I will happily pay for it, too. Of course I should mention that a few years ago my father took an Ambien, began to have hallucinations, and lay on the floor of his diningroom overnight, and was found there the next morning by the cleaning ladies. It happened at 11:00 at night, the cleaning ladies entered around 9:00AM. At the time he lived in a retirement home which had "pull chain alarms" in three places on the wall: both bathrooms and the bedroom, but because he collapsed in the dining room, he could not reach of any them.

He's now 92, has moved to assisted living, and wears a little white button around his neck on a lanyard, and we're all relieved that he does.

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18473 of 19021
Subject: Re: Life Alert Systems? Date: 7/11/2013 5:58 PM
After my father died, I arranged with the neighbors (one to the left of her home and the other directly across the street) to watch the house. They were accustomed to Mama's movements and noticed that she always raised the blinds in the living room between 9:30 and 10:00 AM each day. Both neighbors had a key. One day, the blinds were not raised, the across-the-street neighbors went to the house and discovered that Mama had fallen (breaking her femur). She had gotten up that morning, made her coffee and that's when she fell. She was not down very long.

Donna

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18474 of 19021
Subject: Re: Life Alert Systems? Date: 7/11/2013 10:43 PM
//Don't worry about it. YOU are their emergency food supply. //

Should I die in bed, dogs can't reach me..two dogs sleep in crates downstairs...can't get out..

I'm sure your comment was meant in jest---we do read about such things happening..

I'm going to need to figure out something.

Birgit

Author: stockmover Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18475 of 19021
Subject: Re: Life Alert Systems? Date: 7/12/2013 3:27 AM
Hi Birgit,

My mom, who was in her early 90's, had life alert for several years. Fortunately she did not have to use it.

However, one day her grand-daughter accidentally triggered the pendant alarm and the Police, Ambulance and the Fire Department all responded within minutes .... so we knew it worked.

Rich
Arizona

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18476 of 19021
Subject: Re: Life Alert Systems? Date: 7/12/2013 9:29 AM
However, one day her grand-daughter accidentally triggered the pendant alarm and the Police, Ambulance and the Fire Department all responded within minutes .... so we knew it worked.

Thanks Rich, that's good to know. You can read all these wonderful reviews online, but it is hard to know how genuine some online reviews are.

Birgit

Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18477 of 19021
Subject: Re: Life Alert Systems? Date: 7/13/2013 9:35 AM
Recommendations: 4
Don't fear the dogs. From a police chief friend of mine: "Dogs will guard the body of their owner, sometimes making it difficult for officers to even get near it. You don't want to know what cats will do."

Author: sunrayman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18478 of 19021
Subject: Re: Life Alert Systems? Date: 7/13/2013 11:54 PM
. . . You don't want to know what cats will do."

+++
+++

Cats are NOT that predictable!

sunrayman
Senior Staffer

[Dogs have Owners, cats have Staff.]

;-)

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18591 of 19021
Subject: Re: Life Alert Systems? Date: 8/29/2013 10:05 AM
My complaint is that a company is somehow getting through our "Do Not Call" list to pester us about one of these things!

Good luck, though, if you want and need one.

Vermonter

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement