No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi,

My wife and I are expecting our first child so I’m looking into Life and Disability Insurance. I’d appreciate any feedback/advice on this.

I’m currently the primary breadwinner in our family and my wife is in grad school. I’m looking at a Term Life policy of 20 years. I’m assuming that should cover her and the child as between the policy amount and our current nest egg, 3-4% per year of the combined total would equal about 100% of our current cost of living.

The policy premium is about $160/mo. There’s an add-on of $50/mo that pays for the policy premium in the case of my disability and also, the Term policy would convert into a Whole Life policy should I become permanently disabled.

Assuming I keep the policy for 20years, I’m paying an additional $12K for this add-on. If I were to be disabled, I could use my Disability Insurance to cover the policy premium so what I’m really paying for is the conversion to Whole Life. I haven’t educated myself yet too much on Whole Life coverage, so not sure if it’s worthwhile.

Is this add-on worth it, or should I just go with the base policy?

Thanks

?Dat
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement