UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: estd Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3157  
Subject: Life is meaningful Date: 2/26/2001 9:26 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Just to piss you all off further. I enjoy holding contradictory opinions on the same matter at the same time. So.. I KNOW that life is meaningful.

I believe that life is beyond just meaningful, that it is sacred. That the entire universe is completely interconnected. That no one exists separately from everything else and that everything is as sacred as god. Each tiny subatomic particle, each microbe, each cockroach is as important and sacred as any human, saint or god.

we are all in this together. We are actually all this together since there is nothing outside to be inside of.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: xebec Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 100 of 3157
Subject: Re: Life is meaningful Date: 2/26/2001 10:03 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
That the entire universe is completely interconnected.

Funny you should mention this point. My understanding of the theories of cosmological inflation is that there are parts of the universe which are utterly disconnected.

Now here is a real paradox for you. If you could prove to your own satisfaction that there must be matter in the universe which has never affected , and never will affect you in any way, does such matter exist? Does it in some sense "matter"?

I realize that you may deny the premise (that you could prove something to your own satisfaction), but just pretend for a little while that you could.

Author: estd Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 103 of 3157
Subject: Re: Life is meaningful Date: 2/26/2001 10:53 AM
Recommendations: 0
That the entire universe is completely interconnected.

Funny you should mention this point. My understanding of the theories of cosmological inflation is that there are parts of the universe which are utterly disconnected.

Now here is a real paradox for you. If you could prove to your own satisfaction that there must be matter in the universe which has never affected , and never will affect you in any way, does such matter exist? Does it in some sense "matter"?

I realize that you may deny the premise (that you could prove something to your own satisfaction), but just pretend for a little while that you could.

And what if I were to grant that there is some 'matter' that is completely disconnected from other 'matter'. And what if I were to tell you that the definition of 'matter' is arbitrary. That matter, energy, everything is all the same thing. No difference except in the wave pattern that in it's pulsing.

Even if there is some matter somewhere that has no direct connection, it does not matter. It is still all interconnected. By the way, this applies across universes as well. What happens to a flea in this univerese affects all the other multitude of universes as well.

How can I say this? By definition.

Author: xebec Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 112 of 3157
Subject: Re: Life is meaningful Date: 2/26/2001 11:56 AM
That matter, energy, everything is all the same thing.

Well, yes. Tell me something that I don't know. The point is that under certain theories, the some waves never have and never will intersect with certain others.

And what if I were to grant that there is some 'matter' that is completely disconnected from other 'matter'. And what if I were to tell you that the definition of 'matter' is arbitrary.

So, if you grant my point does this matter, defined in our arbitrary way, exist?

Sorry, I missed that. What are you defining?

Author: estd Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 114 of 3157
Subject: Re: Life is meaningful Date: 2/26/2001 12:42 PM
And what if I were to grant that there is some 'matter' that is completely disconnected from other 'matter'. And what if I were to tell you that the definition of 'matter' is arbitrary.

So, if you grant my point does this matter, defined in our arbitrary way, exist?

That depends, which arbitrary definition would you like to use?

Whatever I feel like defining. It's my definition so it means what I like.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=14277888

Author: xebec Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 115 of 3157
Subject: Re: Life is meaningful Date: 2/26/2001 12:56 PM

Oh good! If the answer depends on the definition, please choose some of the more interesting examples of definitions and show how the answer changes.

Here is a defintion, if you need to get started

material substance that occupies space, has mass, and is composed predominantly of atoms consisting of protons, neutrons, and electrons, that constitutes the observable universe, and that is interconvertible with energy

Whatever I feel like defining. It's my definition so it means what I like.

No problem. I just kind of missed it and was hoping you would repeat it in different words so I might understand it.

Author: estd Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 118 of 3157
Subject: Re: Life is meaningful Date: 2/26/2001 1:06 PM

Oh good! If the answer depends on the definition, please choose some of the more interesting examples of definitions and show how the answer changes.

Here is a defintion, if you need to get started

material substance that occupies space, has mass, and is composed predominantly of atoms consisting of protons, neutrons, and electrons, that constitutes the observable universe, and that is interconvertible with energy

Since it is your definition, I will let you decide whether or not matter, defined in that way exists. I wouldn't presume to push my interpretation upon your arbitrary definition.

Author: xebec Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 123 of 3157
Subject: Re: Life is meaningful Date: 2/26/2001 1:34 PM
Since it is your definition, I will let you decide whether or not matter, defined in that way exists. I wouldn't presume to push my interpretation upon your arbitrary definition.

Sorry, I came here for an argument, all you give me is mere contradiction.

Author: estd Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 125 of 3157
Subject: Re: Life is meaningful Date: 2/26/2001 1:44 PM
Sorry, I came here for an argument, all you give me is mere contradiction.

No, I didn't.

Author: estd Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 126 of 3157
Subject: Re: Life is meaningful Date: 2/26/2001 1:44 PM
Sorry, I came here for an argument,

This is abuse, you want 12-A.

Author: xebec Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 129 of 3157
Subject: Re: Life is meaningful Date: 2/26/2001 2:15 PM
So, estd, how long haven't you been contradicting people?

Author: estd Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 132 of 3157
Subject: Re: Life is meaningful Date: 2/26/2001 3:26 PM
So, estd, how long haven't you been contradicting people?

What are you implying? I've never contradicted anyone.

Author: rickpage One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 529 of 3157
Subject: Re: Life is meaningful Date: 2/15/2002 2:36 AM
Just to piss you all off further. I enjoy holding contradictory opinions on the same matter at the same time. So.. I KNOW that life is meaningful.

Prove it.

Author: waxurt Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 531 of 3157
Subject: Re: Life is meaningful Date: 2/15/2002 8:47 AM

Prove it.

Did you read the thread before that one where estd/seaofglup said that life was not meaningful? By the way, he was one of my doppels who died a horrible death in the Valentine's Day Massacre. Start from the beginning of the board and read the whole thing. Then come back and ask your questions again. I am sure you will either have more things to say or you will go away shaking your head. Either one is fine.

This board has been ceded to the British Invasion anyway. We will to ask their permission before continuing our little discussion.

Author: RarusAvis Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 552 of 3157
Subject: Re: Life is meaningful Date: 2/19/2002 10:08 PM
Dear estd, I enjoyed your short essay. I agee with your thesis.

Author: PlankTonic Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 553 of 3157
Subject: Re: Life is meaningful Date: 2/19/2002 10:13 PM
Dear estd, I enjoyed your short essay. I agee with your thesis.

THen y'all might like this:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=16657100

Author: MechanicalMethod Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 603 of 3157
Subject: Re: Life is meaningful Date: 4/2/2002 6:46 PM
after stardom.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement