UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (54) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: rubberthinking Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 457444  
Subject: Re: Value of College Date: 2/11/2013 1:25 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Life is what you make of it.

If you want to hang your hat on a college degree your hat will fall to the floor.

For some folks college is completely unnecessary, but for the majority of folks that are college material they need at least a four year degree in the modern world.

As for the expense, someone today on a network news program was stating that in the 1950s and into the 1960s 33% of the federal govt outlays were for R&D, highways etc...and 33% was for social spending welfare etc....I am not sure if subsidizing education fell into social spending, but I imagine it does.

Today the numbers are quite different, 66% for social spending and 16% on R&D etc...

We badly need economic growth in tnis country to slow or stop a lot of the social spending and to increase R&D spending.

I will venture that R&D spending is much more effective now than in the 1950s, and that such spending will increase with economic growth in the 2020's. Also the part of the R&D spending that was highways will not be all that needed as in the 1950s.

Elsewhere on the fool only a couple of years ago comparisons were made between social spending and military spending and the effects of each on the velocity of money, military spending returned one buck and change, while social spending returned two bucks and change. This was not impressive in either case. The economy is bad for any type of spending, but it could easily be worse.

So if the millionaires of this world stop investing in hedge funds and begin to invest in their businesses we will see those numbers all change for the better.

Dave
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (54) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement