Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: americanray Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 168334  
Subject: Life lesson Date: 4/19/2013 11:47 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 29
One time there was a young teenage girl that was about to finish her last year of college. She considered herself to be a very liberal Democrat and her father was a rather staunch conservative. One day she was challenging her father on his beliefs and his opposition to programs like welfare.

He stopped her and asked her how she was doing in school. She answered that she had a 4.0 GPA but it was really tough. She had to study all the time, never had time to go out and party and often went sleepless because of all of the studying. She didn't have time for a boyfriend and didn't really have many college friends because of all her studying.

He then asked how her friend Mary, that was attending the same college, was doing. She replied that she was barely getting by. She had a 2.0 GPA, never studied. Was very popular on campus and was at parties all the time. She often wouldn't show up for classes because she was hung over.

He then asked his daughter why she didn't go to the Dean's office and ask why she couldn't take 1.0 off her 4.0 and give it to her friend that only had a 2.0. That way they would both have a 3.0 GPA. She fired back and said "that wouldn't be fair, I worked really hard for mine and my friend has done nothing".

After a moment of silence, she replied, "I guess I will never vote Democrat again".
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Umm Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 159180 of 168334
Subject: Re: Life lesson Date: 4/19/2013 6:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 19
The life lesson to take from post is that if you constantly fall for little nice sounding emailed stories that have very little connection to reality you must be conservative.

Author: Beridian Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 159181 of 168334
Subject: Re: Life lesson Date: 4/19/2013 9:08 PM
Recommendations: 39
He then asked his daughter why she didn't go to the Dean's office and ask why she couldn't take 1.0 off her 4.0 and give it to her friend that only had a 2.0. That way they would both have a 3.0 GPA. She fired back and said "that wouldn't be fair, I worked really hard for mine and my friend has done nothing".

Another cute folksy axiom that has nothing to do with the real world but it sure is sweet numbing mind candy for the self righteous crowd.

Wait until the daughter starts slaving away at a real job and investing in her retirement account. Then she will discover that her labor and her investments are eroded away to enrich the elite and bail out the banks so that fat cats don't ever have to take a haircut. Then when her job is off-shored she will wonder why the company executives and board members still get massive pay raises and bonuses. But by then she will probably have exhausted her savings anyway caring for her sick father and family members who don't have health care. Then she'll likely start voting democrat again while muttering under her breath "dad was a sh!t-head".

Author: rharmelink Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 159182 of 168334
Subject: Re: Life lesson Date: 4/19/2013 10:25 PM
Recommendations: 1
Wait until the daughter starts slaving away at a real job and investing in her retirement account.

Worked for me, with LBYM. I even spent the last half of my 27 year career working part time, down to 20 hours per week. While my full time co-workers were living paycheck to paycheck, because of their lifestyles.

I always contributed the max to my 401K. In some years, it was earning 2-3 times my salary.

I finally quit in 2006 because they were going to make me full time again. If I had always worked full time, I could have quit working earlier, but it's tough to turn down all those nice benefits when you can continue them with 20 hours per week.

========================================================================

OJ:

The judge had just awarded a divorce to Lena, who had charged non-support. He said to Ole, "I have decided to give your wife $800 a month for support."

"Vell, dat's fine, Judge," said Ole. "And vunce in a while I'll try ta chip in a few bucks myself."

Author: discurro Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 159184 of 168334
Subject: Re: Life lesson Date: 4/20/2013 2:17 AM
Recommendations: 42
One time there was a young teenage girl that was about to finish her last year of college. She considered herself to be a very liberal Democrat and her father was a rather staunch conservative. One day she was challenging her father on his beliefs and his opposition to programs like welfare.

He stopped her and asked her how she was doing in school. She answered that she had a 4.0 GPA but it was really tough. She had to study all the time, never had time to go out and party and often went sleepless because of all of the studying. She didn't have time for a boyfriend and didn't really have many college friends because of all her studying.

He then asked how her friend Mary, that was attending the same college, was doing. She replied that she was barely getting by. She had a 2.0 GPA, never studied. Was very popular on campus and was at parties all the time. She often wouldn't show up for classes because she was hung over.

after she graduated, she found out that "Mary" was the daughter of big alumni and that she got in as a 'legacy". Right out of school, Mary was given a big management position with her daddy's company. The poorer hardworking daughter of the staunch conservative got a line level position in that same company. After working there for 30 years and working her way up to a mid-level management position, she had accumulated a nice little nest egg of company stock in her retirement fund.

Unfortunately "Mary" was now running the company, she sold off most of the profitable portions of the company and pocketed the profits as part of her "bonus". Then someone looked under the covers at the corporate accounting, found out it was a a house of cards and the poor hardworking 4.0 daughter realized she had flushed her retirement down the toilet when the company collapsed.

Mary on the other hand, retired to Bermuda and lived off the funds in her Cayman Islands accounts.

Author: tonyh103 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 159185 of 168334
Subject: Re: Life lesson Date: 4/20/2013 9:05 AM
Recommendations: 3
you know, i've always worked hard during my career, but i've realized too late that if i'd compromised my principles and kissed a$$ like the people who got promotions ahead of me i'd be in a lot better position now. so it's my fault that the company went down the tubes and a lot of those same people lost everything (not!!)

yeah, i know - sour grapes

Author: americanray Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 159190 of 168334
Subject: Re: Life lesson Date: 4/20/2013 6:23 PM
Recommendations: 2
after she graduated, she found out that "Mary" was the daughter of big alumni and that she got in as a 'legacy". Right out of school, Mary was given a big management position with her daddy's company. The poorer hardworking daughter of the staunch conservative got a line level position in that same company. After working there for 30 years and working her way up to a mid-level management position, she had accumulated a nice little nest egg of company stock in her retirement fund.

Unfortunately "Mary" was now running the company, she sold off most of the profitable portions of the company and pocketed the profits as part of her "bonus". Then someone looked under the covers at the corporate accounting, found out it was a a house of cards and the poor hardworking 4.0 daughter realized she had flushed her retirement down the toilet when the company collapsed.

Mary on the other hand, retired to Bermuda and lived off the funds in her Cayman Islands accounts.

I see you've once again gathered the Obama minions for some recs. The added story line was funny, in a more than passingly strange way, but far more an urban legend, unless you are part of the Kardashian family - are you?

It's doubtful that "the hardworking daughter of the staunch conservative" would take a job with a company that placed Mary "in a big management position" - that's just nonsensical. Besides, her father (the staunch conservative) would have owned stock in "the profitable portions of the company" so, his daughter would have also been a stock holder, also - eventually receiving and inheriting Billions - another Billionaire Conservative story - life is good, if one is conservative. If one is liberal - it appears to be the same a having dementia your entire life.

Author: Beridian Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 159195 of 168334
Subject: Re: Life lesson Date: 4/20/2013 8:17 PM
Recommendations: 0
The added story line was funny, in a more than passingly strange way, but far more an urban legend, unless you are part of the Kardashian family - are you?

I'll be the first to admit, as I hope also will you, that people tend to frame stories through the lens of our personal biases. I guess that's the whole point of this little thread. I think that most rational folks understand that reality lies somewhere between the extremes.

Author: BenHurJudah Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 159196 of 168334
Subject: Re: Life lesson Date: 4/20/2013 8:46 PM
Recommendations: 5
The truth hurts liberals.

Author: khalou Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 159203 of 168334
Subject: Re: Life lesson Date: 4/21/2013 2:05 AM
Recommendations: 5
The truth hurts liberals.

Conservatives believe that the playing field is level.

Liberals believe that there is still some work to do to make it so.

I respect both opinions and believe that each side sometimes goes overboard.

k

Author: horacekgl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 159205 of 168334
Subject: Re: Life lesson Date: 4/21/2013 7:15 AM
Recommendations: 3

I agree the truth lies somewhere in between; I disagree with the way we seem to have chosen to fix things. It will only get worse until it all collapses -- maybe that's the objective?

glh

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 159214 of 168334
Subject: Re: Life lesson Date: 4/21/2013 9:43 PM
Recommendations: 2

I agree the truth lies somewhere in between;

Nope.

Conservatives believe the playing field SHOULD BE level - which they evaluate by examining the playing field.

Liberals also believe the playing field SHOULD BE level - which they evaluate by checking to see if the game ends in a tie and the "right" people win on a tie-breaker.

Author: khalou Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 159257 of 168334
Subject: Re: Life lesson Date: 4/24/2013 2:38 AM
Recommendations: 7

I agree the truth lies somewhere in between;

--------------------------------------------

Nope.

Conservatives believe the playing field SHOULD BE level - which they evaluate by examining the playing field.

Liberals also believe the playing field SHOULD BE level - which they evaluate by checking to see if the game ends in a tie and the "right" people win on a tie-breaker.

I assume that you are a conservative. The reason being (among other more obvious reasons) that you have determined that liberals don't necessarily play fair.

If someone lives a block from the beach with a panoramic view of the ocean, they might say that they live on the beach. Those for whom the beach is their front yard might differ.

In my opinion, me living ten miles from the beach, those who are a block away with that panoramic view actually live on the beach.

You, much like your counterparts in the other half of the country, are perceiving the intentions of that "other" by virtue of your philosophical location.

What I hear from them is that they, believing that the playing field should be level, evaluate their position by examining the playing field and that you, believing that the playing field should be level, evaluate your position by comparing everyone to an ideal standard and, should any fail to meet that standard, need to live with the consequences.

Everyone thinks that they are evaluating the playing field justly. Both sides can point to examples by the "other" of ridiculously excessive attempts at adjustment. Both sides can also point to instances of genius on their own part.

I'm sure that nothing in my history shows evidence that I have some great insight on the behavior of either side, but do know one thing-

Change with a sledgehammer is probably a mistake, and no change at all is also a mistake. We need progressives to passionately push for reform, and we likewise need conservatives to passionately push for prudence and a "look both ways" - "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude.

And somewhere in the middle, we manage to progress with prudence. The goal is that everyone have a shot at success depending on how hard they are willing to work, and that the American Dream is possible for all.

For example- "Dems create public welfare and Reps create corporate welfare". Both are important for success when necessary and neither is helpful when not. All we have to do is make sure that the application of either is reasonable and helpful to the goal and not the equivalent of the many supporting the few for no better reason than a reward for (insert your favorite culprit).

If conservatives got everything they want all the time, life would suck. If democrats got everything they want all the time, life would suck.

When proposing one's opinion of a level playing field, one should realize that the variables are incredibly complex and that there is always the danger of creating unforeseen non-leveling consequences. I'm certain that each party has experienced that! The opposition could provide insights about what pitfalls there may be, but it is inevitable that when the opposition is so diametrically opposed, self-reflection becomes impossible and the push to win becomes such a priority that any quarter given to useful arguments against one's opinion become weaknesses. Accusations against one's motivations that aren't true only serve to strengthen that resolve.

It is in this forum that we find ourselves in America. The opposition is so idiotic that we push our opinions forward and never look back because sometimes it takes a cannon to merely be heard through the din.

I believe what I believe and I know that you do as well. We came to our conclusions by virtue of the content of our experience and reason. Should someone disagree with me, then that is the very person that I should engage because something has occurred to them that hasn't to me- or perhaps something has occurred to be that hasn't to them. Either way, we would be best off listening and not judging through our own experiential lens.

k

Author: reader99 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 159298 of 168334
Subject: Re: Life lesson Date: 4/27/2013 8:37 AM
Recommendations: 0
Wait until the daughter starts slaving away at a real job and investing in her retirement account. Then she will discover that her labor and her investments are eroded away to enrich the elite and bail out the banks so that fat cats don't ever have to take a haircut. Then when her job is off-shored she will wonder why the company executives and board members still get massive pay raises and bonuses. But by then she will probably have exhausted her savings anyway caring for her sick father and family members who don't have health care. Then she'll likely start voting democrat again while muttering under her breath "dad was a sh!t-head".

Thank you.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement