UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (67) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFSelena Big gold star, 5000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 881939  
Subject: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/27/2005 1:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Folks --

In connection with a piece I'm writing, I invite any of you to share any lists of things you want to do in your life ("before I die" lists, in other words).

For example, one thing I'd like to do is see the Aurora Borealis. I need to sit down and think of more things.

http://www.geo.mtu.edu/weather/aurora/

http://virtual.finland.fi/finfo/english/aurora_borealis.html

Anyone else?

Selena
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ROTJob Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609004 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/27/2005 1:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 17
In connection with a piece I'm writing, I invite any of you to share any lists of things you want to do in your life ("before I die" lists, in other words).

2 chicks at the same time.

RJ

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609007 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/27/2005 1:34 PM
Recommendations: 8
"In connection with a piece I'm writing, I invite any of you to share any lists of things you want to do in your life ("before I die" lists, in other words).

RJ "

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Presumably you are referring to marshmallow chicks?

Howie52
Tis the season....
for marshmallow chicks, doncha know.

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609009 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/27/2005 1:48 PM
peep research site. :)

http://www.peepresearch.org/

Author: Davem105 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609018 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/27/2005 2:50 PM
Recommendations: 0
Hmmm! Things I'd like to do. I'd have to catagorize mine into things that have a reasonable potential of happening and things that don't, but that I'd nonetheless like to do.

Possibles. 1. Hitch a ride in a long-haul 18 wheeler. 2. Experience shooting, hopefully varying types of guns. 3. Climb Mt. Whitney. (used to think more seriously about this and really should try it some day.) 4. Tour the cockpit of a jet airliner, (probably more potential for that prior to 9/11. 5. Dito for the engineers compartment of a long-distance train, probably less potential for that as above.

6. Have a world-class ham radio setup capable of world wide DX.

Can't think of much else that doesn't have to do with travel.

Author: DeltaDog2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609019 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/27/2005 2:53 PM
Visit Europe and Australia (maybe other places too but those are my top 2).

Go on a safari tour in Africa.

Own and regularly ride my own horse. One of those childhood dreams that has followed me into adulthood.

Find my dream job (or win the lotto so I can volunteer at places I love instead!)

I'd like to see the Aurora Borealis, too.

Take DH to a place that has fireflies. He's never seen them and I loved them as a kid.

Visit Louisiana, maybe Mardi Gras.

Run. I had a severe muscle disease as a kid and haven't been able to run since I was 9, and now I'm recuperating from a badly broken leg. I don't know if that one will be physically possible but it's on the list anyway.

I am sure I could think of many many more but that's my starting list!

Author: peplow Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609023 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/27/2005 3:01 PM
Hitch a ride in a long-haul 18 wheeler.........Dito for the engineers compartment of a long-distance train, ..................................

The ride in a truck is over-rated,it's just a big car ride, only less comfortable and the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore MD is where you can get to tour the engineer's cab of various types of locomotives.

Pete

Author: InTheWindow Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609025 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/27/2005 3:02 PM

My to do list:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=20395140

Author: blahblahblahDuck Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609027 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/27/2005 3:29 PM
1. Move to Colorado.
2. Do "it" on an airplane.
3. Ride a motorcycle to Alaska.
4. Appear on The Tonight Show.

There's more, but that's what came to mind first.

Duck

Author: NoGoodReason Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609029 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/27/2005 3:45 PM

Check.

-NGR

What would you do if you had a million dollars?

"Two chicks at the same time, man."

Author: CrestlineKathy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609033 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/27/2005 4:05 PM
Recommendations: 9
<<Hitch a ride in a long-haul 18 wheeler>>

I did that when I was 5. My Mom worked at a liquor packing company so trucks came in and out all day. One day I got bored with coloring (they let me stay there in the summer) and walked out to the packing area, saw a big truck with the door open, crawled in and found a bed in the back so I curled up and went to sleep. The trucker was 250 miles away before he noticed me. He called Mom so she'd stop freaking out and he brought me back later that night after his route.

Don't remember much though except he bought me donuts and I got yelled at when I got back...lol

Author: birdmom Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609040 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/27/2005 5:10 PM
Win the lottery or PCH so I can do the following:

Buy an apartment in Paris so I can go whenever I want.

Lots of travel. I want to go all over Europe, China, Australia and New Zealand for starters. I'd like to be able to take family and friends with me.

I want to see polar bears and penguins.

I want to see parrots flying in their native habitat.

I want to go into space.

Judi

Author: MaryGoodnight Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609041 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/27/2005 5:25 PM

I've been both diligent and fortunate, so a few of mine have already come true, but among those remaining:

1) Travel - a list of many remaining locations

2) See my daughter graduate

3) Retire Early

4) Pick up Spanish again

5) Take a cooking class

6) Learn about photography

7) Many specific sights/sites, including the Aurora Borealis

8) Read the classics

9) Audit classes or go back to college

10)volunteer to work with children

11)Hike more of the Appalachian Trail

12)Do more genealogical research

I'm sure I can think of more, but those immediately come to mind

MG

Author: johnmoni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609042 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/27/2005 5:27 PM
"Anyone else?"

1. Retire at 55 and spend lots of time with my wife and son. Will be possible in 9 years and am on track to do it (God willing.)

2. Take piano lessons and learn both to read music, and the correct way to play, as opposed to my self-taught incorrect technique.

3. Visit all the Presidential libraries/museums - have seen Kennedy, Roosevelt, Nixon, and Carter so far.

4. Travel with my wife and son on a cross-country driving trip, to visit as many National Parks as we can.

5. Visit Liverpool, England, and all the Beatles related sites.

How's that?

Author: gogreengo Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609044 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/27/2005 5:46 PM
Well, I've already done most of the things on the "list" I made after college, many of those things having to do with my career. What would I put on my list now?

- Retire early.

- Run my own business.

- Save a million.

- Hug a soldier.

That's about it. I feel pretty content with life as it is and with what I've done so far. If you want to see the northern lights, you're welcome up here in MN!

Author: CaveGirl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609046 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/27/2005 5:54 PM
I'd like to take a full year off from work and cycle/hike Europe. I'd catalog my travels through journal entries and photographs and write a book on it.

CaveGirl

Author: XCgeoff Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609050 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/27/2005 6:47 PM
I want to finish in the top 100 at the Boston Marathon.

Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609051 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/27/2005 6:47 PM
Hmm. I guess I don't have big ambitions. I don't have any "climb Mount Everest" dreams.

The only thing I insist on doing before I die is to retire, so I can have more time for hobbies. I'd do it now if I could afford to. If I die young, I will be pissed. ;-)

But my other wishes are shorter term, and domestic. (We both like being home; we're boring that way.) Many of my wishes are projects I could do right now. I'd love to do them all, but won't be pissed if I run out of time. I try to order them by the ones we'll get most enjoyment from, that I can afford to do now. On that list, more or less in order:

* Finish a pair of sofa-side tables I've started building.
* Cut back the hill to the west of the house, and build a dry-stack stone retaining wall.
* Erect a 5' picket fence in the front/side yard, to enclose a garden, with gates in several places and an arbored gate in front.
* Plant shrubs, trees, groundcover, perennials along the driveway, trail into the woods, and house clearing. (I have 150 small shrubs & trees on order so far.)
* Install a floor in DW's room over the garage. (We left it with just a subfloor to save $$.) Also will finish the baseboard trim in there, and build her some cabinets and shelves.

(Am going to try to get the above things done in 2005.)

* Paint the livingroom. (We couldn't decide on colors when we needed to, so picked one color used in most of the house now. Want a darker color for the livingroom. Will probably install a trim band above the windows, and put an arts & crafts style wallpaper border from Bradury & Bradbury in the space between ceiling and band.)
* Start a vegetable garden. I haven't had one since 1999! I can't wait! (I know better than to try to start one this year; I'll be lucky to have the space for it done by late summer.)
* More landscaping; I expect to keep planting plants here until I die or the deer show me the futility of my desires. ;-)
* Lay in a stone patio between the house and garage, with a picket fence between the two to enclose the space.
* Build an earthern outdoor wood-fired oven; I recently bought this book http://tinyurl.com/7ygkb and now am fired up (ha) to have one. Will leave a gap in the patio fence for this, so it can be used from the patio.
* Build builtin furniture (desk, cabinets, shelving) in my tiny office nook, which at this moment is a huge cluttered mess that drives me crazy. I have it partially sketched out; need to make detailed plan.
* Build sturdy pantry shelves in the basement. We have some portable bookshelves in there now, but I'd like to eventually be canning, and I want something that can support more weight.

(Am going to try to get the above things done in 2006.)

* Build bookshelves between the livingroom and kitchen, in spaces that were framed out for them.
* Build a treehouse for our daughter. I have the tree picked out.
* Build bookshelves, builtin chest of drawers, window seat and builtin armoire in our bedroom. I have it partially thought through in my head; need to make a detailed plan.

(Am going to try to get the above done in 2007.)

Longer term, I want to

* Build a kitchen island. What we're using as one is a sturdy old metal-legged maple-topped lab table. I'd like to eventually build one to match the walnut & cherry cabinetry in the kitchen.
* Build a small dining room table. What we're using now is a perfectly serviceable thing that I bought unfinished, but it' a bit small. I'd like to make one with leaves for when we have family over.
* Finish my workshop. It's useable now, but not exactly what I'd call "friendly". (You'd think I'd tackle it first, but I'd actually rather get some of these other projects done and mull what I want to do in there. It's not a huge space so I'd like to get a feel for how best to organize it.)
* Build a small barn. (I'd really love to try making a timberframe structure. For me, that would be a big challenge!)
* Build a chicken coop, and get a small flock. I'd love for our daughter to be able to experience a small taste of farm life. But no cows, thanks; I've no desire to experience a bigger taste of it. ;-)
* Build a bed for us. I'd love to make a nice headboard anyway.
* Build bookshelves and cabinets in a "catwalk" the connects DW's room to the rest of the upstairs.
* Build a standing towel cabinet under the gable slope in the guest bathroom. (Only a medicine cabinet in there now; no closet either. We told them to leave it bare and I'd finish it to our tastes when we have time & money.)
* Finish the basement. I'd love to put a small home theater down there. May have the money to do it by the time there's no longer a need for it to be "child safe". ;-}

--FY

Author: hereandnow Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609053 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/27/2005 6:51 PM
Two guys at the same time...both of them my husband.

h&n
doesn't settle for less

Author: CrestlineKathy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609056 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/27/2005 7:04 PM
<<Hmm. I guess I don't have big ambitions. I don't have any "climb Mount Everest" dreams.
>>

Me either. I can pop in a video and see just about any place I want to go. What I hope to have before I die is a family.

Kathy....keepin it simple.

Author: polarg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609058 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/27/2005 7:51 PM
Sing on the stage at Teatro a La Scala in Milan

Meet Monserrat Caballe (hear her performing live is also part of that)

Buy a house (may happen this year)

Finish the degree I'm currently working on

Have 5 happy, well adjusted kids and a fulfilling marraige

Travel (Europe, Asia, South America)

Become CEO of my own company (getting there)

Get the use of my right hand/arm back.
(I have Erb's palsey in my right arm from an accident during birth. There are surgeries available, but they aren't covered under insurance, are highly risky, and very expensive. I'm waiting for both the money and the technology to develope a bit more and I may actually pursue this.)

Author: Allisonh2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609061 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/27/2005 8:32 PM
Being able to quit smoking and stay quit!!

Lose 30 lbs and keep them OFF!!

Being able to retire comfortably.

Getting to finally visit Ireland and other countries in Europe!

Staying happy with Kevin and my 2 kids!

Enjoying the simpler things in life, such as a beautiful sunset, the ocean, and the laughter in my child's eyes!

Author: dianakalt Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609062 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/27/2005 8:42 PM
Hmmm....life lists.

I would like to go to Australia/New Zealand for several weeks. I don't even know why I want to do that, but I have been wanting to for quite some time. I wish I had the money this year, as my good friends sister is going to be studying in Australia for a few months, but I can't swing it (and neither can my friend).

Other than that, I don't have much on my life list. I am kind of a homebody and don't think about things like that much...but I suppose I should.

d

Author: cbrown24 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609064 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/27/2005 9:26 PM
I would like to:

1. See the leaves turning in the fall in New England.

2. Sing English drinking songs while watching a soccer game, Manchester United vs any other team live!

3. Watch my YD play college soccer.

4. Have a backyard garden nice enough to be in the local garden tour.

5. Watch my daughter's children while they work so they don't have to suffer the same horrible guilt I did when I had to go back to work, and help them in any way I can so their working life is easier than mine.

6. Do all the things above with DH.

7. And last but not least, clean and organize my house so DH and I can invite on a spur of the moment, a group of college students who are in town for a 6 on 6 tournament to sleep on our livingroom floor and we don't have to run home and clean the bathroom and the rest of the house before they find our house.

Cheryl B.

Author: isewquilts2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609065 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/27/2005 10:08 PM
Recommendations: 3
Really, just one that's THE most important...

1. Raise 2 happy, well-adjusted, kind DS's who become productive adults.

The rest???

2. Retire early (55? 57?) with DH and be happy and healthy for the rest of our days, however many that may be.

3. Travel.

4. Laugh a lot.

5. Make a quilt that is juried into a national quilt show. Don't need to win...just get in.

isewquilts

Author: bhowardinaz Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609072 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/28/2005 12:31 AM
Go to http://www.43things.com/

Author: mneakrase Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609075 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/28/2005 12:57 AM
I had a list of 25 things to do before I turned 25, I didn't finish them all. There's lots of dreams I have, like owning a house in each state, that will likely never be accomplished. I would also like to visit each state and it's capital. I want to watch professional sports games (baseball, hockey, and football down) live. I want to drive cross country. I want to have a garden where I can cut beautiful flowers to which display around my home. I want to learn to quilt. I want to research my family genealogy. I want a house!

=) Megan

Author: ginger1236 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609077 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/28/2005 1:20 AM
I want to do some trail riding.
I want to jump Angel Falls.
I want to do a cage dive with the great whites.
I want to rock my grand babies and my great grand babies.
I want to see just one of my students on the six o'clock news for something good.

I want to die a nice quiet death about the same time as my husband.

I can't see me making it for long after he's gone.
Ginger

Author: Doggles Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609078 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/28/2005 1:22 AM
* Support myself solely as a musician. I'm currently a software engineer at Berklee College of Music. I've performed and composed on the side for years, but so far I'm only dipping my toes the revenue opportunities.

* Save enough for my toddler's education that he won't have to assume staggering student loans. DW's grad and undergrad loans are still nipping at our heels.

* Aquire stretches of undeveloped land and leave it in a trust so that it can never be developed.

* Spend significant periods of time living in different countries. I've visited but never lingered...

Author: ginger1236 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609081 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/28/2005 1:33 AM
Recommendations: 2
"2 chicks at the same time.

RJ "

Overrated, not that I've been there or anything. I wasn't that drunk at the Mardi Gras or anything. I'm just saying more than two to tango, is a waste of time for one.

Ginger
(Who knows nothing about anything other than this stray rottie is going to die.)

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609086 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/28/2005 5:50 AM
Recommendations: 6
isewquilts:

You posted most of my thoughts, generally, before I could! <s>

We've always loved that song from "South Pacific" in which Bloody Mary sings that "You got to have a dream if you wanna have a dream come true..."

We didn't make "lists", as such, about our dreams, but we did talk about them and then set about working toward those we felt we could achieve.

We both wanted to:

Raise our three good kids, with love and appropriate discipline. (All married for several years now, with kids of their own, seemingly happy and doing well.) CHECK.

Be able to enjoy the love of little grandchildren. (Six of 'em now, and all want to be with gramma and grampa whenever they get a chance.... ahhhh...) CHECK!

Make sure we each pursued our own careers, and supported each other in those careers, as much as we could, while also pursuing life together as much as possible. CHECK.

Make sure we found time to go off and be a couple again from time to time, even while raising the kids. VERY important to keep the "fires" burning! CHECK.

Look down the road to eventual retirement - where and what we'd really like, and try to plan for it, but also enjoy "smelling the roses along the way". (A premature layoff suddenly pushed that on us early, but we did it and are thrilled we were pushed early! <s>) CHECK.

---------------

Today, having found and bought this place, with plenty of land, up here on this mountain, we truly feel blessed, even after five years here. We have each other, we're still very much in love, we still have our health (we pray it lasts for many years!), we have peace and quiet (no neighbors we can even see), a view and sunsets to die for, belong to a warm and loving church community full of kind and loving people, and are not rich but have "enough" money to enjoy eating out several times a week (another thing we both enjoy) and generally can live without anxiety most of the time.

After caring for my dad and then her mom (both of whom quietly passed away over the past 5 years, and required a LOT of care, but were loved so much); struggling to clear out and sell a home of 30+ years in another state; and then tackling and finishing a longed-for major addition to this home (and doing a lot of the work ourselves) last year, now we want to do some traveling, too. Some trips are planned for the next couple of months to see parts of the USA not yet visited.

Lists? Dreams? Whatever works for you, but DO have goals of some kind.

Just don't forget to enjoy TODAY as you plan for TOMORROW!

My thoughts.

Vermonter

Author: WhitemiataXP Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609093 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/28/2005 9:24 AM
2. Experience shooting, hopefully varying types of guns

If you ever make good on that one, I definitelly recommend you find someone who collects guns and is eager to share some of the OLD stuff with you.

I've personally never been into guns in any way, but a couple of years ago I had an opportunity to go to an outdoor gun range with my at the time gf, her mom and her mom's SO.

The SO is a BIG TIME gun collector.

I got to shoot with a bunch of guns ranging from handguns to rifles, and including recent military, WW2 military, WW1 military and independence war stuff (amazing how light the post WW2 rifles are compared to the earlier ones).

The ones I REALLY enjoyed though were a World War 1 Russian rifle (compared to shooting with the superlight composite precision post WW2 military rifle, the Russian thing felt like a bazooka) and an independence-war era musket type deal (where you had to clean/load/shoot ... which I liked for the sound and the puff of smoke when the shot goes.

Alessandro

Author: WhitemiataXP Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609094 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/28/2005 9:31 AM
Sing on the stage at Teatro a La Scala in Milan

I did that!

Of course the people taking us on the tour weren't very amused that one of the scoundrels had mischeviously left the line and clawed himself onto the stage to perform a 20 second nasty teenage bus song (very very nasty).

My math teacher (who was our chaperon) was very unamused as well.

;-)

Alessandro

Author: cbrown24 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609098 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/28/2005 10:08 AM
Geez I left out the kids.

#1 Get daughter #3 to be a productive citizen (first two already are), they all seem pretty well adjusted!

and also:

Make more time for quilting, thanks for reminding me, it's been so long that oldest daughter took my sewing machine home with her so she could do some quilting (she is already way more accomplished and productive than I am with quilting).

Author: polarg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609119 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/28/2005 11:28 AM
I did that!

Of course the people taking us on the tour weren't very amused that one of the scoundrels had mischeviously left the line and clawed himself onto the stage to perform a 20 second nasty teenage bus song (very very nasty).

My math teacher (who was our chaperon) was very unamused as well.

;-)

Alessandro

LOL....that's awesome! (I was wondering if anyone would comment on that.) :)

Author: bigpix Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609130 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/28/2005 11:48 AM
Anyone else?

Live long enough and be healthy enough to ski with my grandkids. Don't have any yet.

Kayak among icebergs

Kayak among whales

Spend a few weeks with DW along the Amalfi coast of Italy

Become a pizziola

bigpix

Author: BullsfanGB Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609132 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/28/2005 11:55 AM
Kayak among icebergs

Kayak among whales

Is kayaking difficult to learn?

Author: bigpix Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609136 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/28/2005 12:01 PM
Is kayaking difficult to learn?

Not at all as far as the basics go. I mostly flatwater kayak on lakes and slow moving rivers. On bigger open waters there are more skills to learn and master though.

You can learn the basics in a half hour. The rest takes a lot of practice.

bigpix

Author: kwheless Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609144 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/28/2005 12:24 PM
I invite any of you to share any lists of things you want to do in your life

- Live in a place where I can have a dog (or two!)

- Own my own house or condo

- Read all the books that I currently own

- Go back to Greece for an extended vacation

Unfortunately, only the book one is a realistic option right now.

Karen

Author: sugarski Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609147 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/28/2005 12:54 PM
See all of the continents. Spend extended periods of time in faraway places- it would be great to be able to spend a month in Africa or a summer in France. Getting paid to write about traveling would be extremely cool, too.

Go hang gliding at least once.

Meet our financial goals so we won't have to worry about money in retirement and can have fun together.*

Rear 3 kind-hearted, sensible kids who make good decisions and have rich, healthy and happy lives- inasmuch as I can control this. :)

Finish a collection of short stories and/or a film script.

*but NOT at Del Boca Vista Phase III. :)

Author: Kasuma724 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609158 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/28/2005 1:29 PM
x-POSTED

<<In connection with a piece I'm writing, I invite any of you to share any lists of things you want to do in your life ("before I die" lists, in other words).>>

I'm happy to say that I've accomplished a lot of the long life list I made in early college. (Original list included: find a job that I love, live overseas, have my own home before I'm 40, establish good relationships with the next generation of my family, travel, go on a hot air balloon ride, swim in the Pacific Ocean, memorize a book of the Bible, sponsor a child/children overseas, have my own business....)

Some things that remain on the list:

1. Have my entire house clean all that the same time.

2. Go to South America, so I've been to all the inhabited continents. (I don't feel the need to be in Antarctica)

3. Be fluent in another language. (I have studied 8... can order ice cream in 18... can drink in 10.... bur really only speak English! ;-D)

4. Write a book.

5. Go on a photo-safari in Africa.

I'm thinking all but #1 are within reach.

:-D

Author: sugarski Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609167 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/28/2005 1:51 PM
I'm thinking all but #1 are within reach.

Ha! I know myself too well to even bother putting it on my list! ;-)

Author: halvorpie Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609178 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/28/2005 2:22 PM
1.) Visit the sites of the 5 remaining ancient wonders of the world (saw two of them last May - 1.) Colossus of Rhodes 2.) Anciet Olympia)

2.) See the South Pacific and many of the countries in it.

3.) See the great wall of China

4.) Visit all 50 states.

5.) Retire early (45 - I hope!)

6.) Read the books on the this list. Luckly I have already read a few of them so I'm not starting from scratch. http://www.wannalearn.com/Classic_Literature/

7.) Get my pilots license

Author: TMFSelena Big gold star, 5000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609249 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/28/2005 4:08 PM
These are terrific lists, folks! (Though you don't need me to tell you that, of course.) Thanks for sharing them.

Here are some related lists that might be of interest:

http://www.listology.com/content_show.cfm/content_id.17643

http://www.livingtodo.com/lifelist.htm

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0761107568/themotleyfool

http://passive.acm.ndsu.nodak.edu/node/view/195

Selena

Author: StBridgit Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609317 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/28/2005 7:17 PM
Might be too late to be useful for Selena, but never too late as a useful exercise for myself, so here goes...

1) Help build a church in a third world country.

2) Kayak the Inside Passage alongside whales.

3) See a golden eagle in the wilds of Scotland or Glenveigh National Park in Ireland.

4) Travel to India, Australia, New Zealand, China, and countless other places.

5) Live long enough to see true wisdom displayed by my children.

6) Visit Uganda & the orphanage we sponsor through our church.

7) Achieve 70% of my life birding list.

8) Share all of these with my husband.

Author: kimmmmm Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609380 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/29/2005 12:14 AM
Your post made me realize that I hadn't made a wish/life list for myself in many years. Too many years, actually. I sat down and jotted a few goals, but it seemed incomplete somehow. Now that I've entered my second half-century, the list appears complete when I include the goals I have reached, as well as the goals I am currently working toward. The following is a beginning, as I've only had about 24 hours to formulate my List for Fuller Living.

Future Goals

1) Get a job at the University Library
2) Get my Master's degree in Library Science
3) Have a novel published
4) Be able to buy my own home
5) Have good health in my "golden" years
6) Travel to Egypt to see temples and pyramids

Goals I have Achieved

1) Gave birth to and raised a beautiful daughter
2) Traveled to Australia, England and Hawaii (Hawaii 3 times)
3) Rode a mule down the Grand Canyon
4) Got my B.A. degree in English
5) Been a good friend and kept friendships for 30+ years

Goals I am Still Accomplishing

1) Getting my Basic and Advanced Certificates as Library Information Technician
2) Have set aside funds for retirement through former employer's 401K, lump-sum pension rolled into an IRA and monthly payments to a mutual fund
3) Member of an investment club researching and regularly contributing to the club portfolio
4) Paying down my credit card debt
5) Learning to share a home with a cat again (my former residence had a no pets policy, I hadn't had a cat in 12 years)

This is my start. I've got about half a century to complete and add new goals yet.

kimmmmm

Author: ANewSlate Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 609984 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/30/2005 5:12 PM
one glaring thing about this thread that i noticed is that the words "raising children" and "husband/wife" is peppered all over the place.

as a single adult, i guess i'm screwed...

Author: CJHutch Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 610023 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/30/2005 6:29 PM
RotJob said:

Really? I always figured that their little beaks would be sharp and pointy. Much like the pigeons in St Mark's Square pecking my toes while I fed them while wearing teva sandles. Never sounded like much fun to me. But hey, what ever shakes your bush!

CJHutch

Author: Davem105 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 610189 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 3/31/2005 12:18 PM
as a single adult, i guess i'm screwed...

Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

Author: TriMatty Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 611144 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 4/3/2005 10:17 PM
Life List:

Get married.
Own a home.
Have and raise at least one child.
Learn how to speak Spanish.
Drive from the East Coast to the West Coast of the U.S.
Visit Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America.
Learn how to play the piano.
Take a cooking class.
Take dancing lessons.
Learn how to sew.
Learn how to crochet.
To at some point in my life live outside of the city.
To sing (in a choir or night club (just once!)
Learn how to ski.
To volunteer with Habitat for Humanity.
To teach.

Author: Steve39C One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 611383 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 4/4/2005 11:38 PM

<<2 chicks at the same time.>>

Yeah, ditto ROTJOB. First thing that popped into my head. But I love my wife and I don't have the money!!

Sc

No, I wouldn't spend the money if I had it.

Author: rayfleck One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 613356 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 4/9/2005 12:31 AM
I feel really lucky because I see lots of things in these lists that I've done. Not bragging, just grateful.

A few things remain.

-Write a novel. Bonus points for getting it published.
-Learn Spanish (more than the cooking directions on the box of pancake mix)
-Continue to remember what it felt like to be a kid. Some parts anyway.
-Scuba dive. I used to want to sky dive, but not so much anymore. I did a lot of cliff-diving already (see first sentence).
-Finger pick the guitar (I have 20 years of hacking to unlearn).
-Build a public fountain where the water jets respond to pedestrians.

I used to want to:
- go to med school
- hike the Appalachian Trail in one hike
- run a marathon
But it turns out that those are hard!

Best to all.
Rayfleck
(Long on life)

Author: marieroan Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 613389 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 4/9/2005 12:06 PM
Things I'd like to do before I die . . .

Take my daughter to Paris (she's only 9 now);
visit the Galapagos Islands;
travel the US, Mexico, and Canada in a motorhome;
spend a winter traveling around Spain and Portugal;
spend a summer traveling around the UK and France (I refuse to go through the Chunnel, however);
spend another summer in Russia;
see all the islands of Japan;
see Paris in April;
dance like Gene Kelly;
go on an African safari with my death-monger hubby;
drive in a stock-car race;
drive in a demolition derby;
barrel race;
speak fluent Japanese;
see my son grow up in one piece (he's 4 now);
learn to play the cello;
sing the blues in a real blues club;
finish my master's degree;
buy a ranch in Santa Cruz for the winters and land in Alaska for the summers;
watch my kids drive off to college;
get the hell out of Vegas forever!!!!

Author: marieroan Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 613391 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 4/9/2005 12:12 PM
Man! I got tired just reading your list! My hat's off to you. You have more energy than I could dream of having!

Author: marieroan Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 613393 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 4/9/2005 12:18 PM
Great post. I want to be just like you when I grow up :). What is it about Vermonters that always brings tears to my eyes? Read the editor's note at the beginning of any Cook's Illustrated magazine and you'll see what I mean.

Good luck to you!

Author: marieroan Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 613394 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 4/9/2005 12:20 PM
As long as #3 is happy and not hurting anyone, I wouldn't worry about her. Being a productive citizen is in the eye of the beholder.

Author: marieroan Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 613396 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 4/9/2005 12:24 PM
You're only screwed if you want to be! Think of the freedom you have w/o a spouse and children. You have the ability to say, do, and go wherever and whenever you want. I wouldn't call that screwed. I would call that heaven!

Author: Davem105 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 613403 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 4/9/2005 12:53 PM
You're only screwed if you want to be!

Now there's a sentence with several meanings. I wonder if that holds true for the employees in houses of ill repute?

Author: cbrown24 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 613440 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 4/9/2005 4:37 PM
Thank you. She is pretty happy, except she is down in Sacramento at State Cup with her dad unable to play because she needs ankle surgery. The good news is her college still wants her even if she has to red shirt the first year.

Cheryl B.
(dreading this years medical bills for YD)

Author: MonocleMan One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 613926 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 4/11/2005 6:07 PM
This is what I want to do:

1. Make a lot of money just to know that I can (i.e. at least $10 million, preferably over $100m)

2. Use my millions to change the world--give the majority to charities.

3. Live modestly, because people honestly have much more than is necessary.

4. Travel the world, meeting natives and doing adventurous things that no one else does on a normal vacation.

5. Marry a beautiful woman from Spain.

6. Shoot a round of golf in the 60s (hit the 70s twice, but haven't had much time to play in the past year)

7. I'm sure there is a lot more I'm not thinking of at the moment.

8. Last but not least, I want to stop wanting things and actually start doing them.

Author: Ceberon Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 613927 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 4/11/2005 6:12 PM
6. Shoot a round of golf in the 60s (hit the 70s twice, but haven't had much time to play in the past year)

I finally hit 69 last time I was golfing, I wasn't sure I could do it. I was on the 9th hole, 4th putt, from 2 feet away, sank it! I was very pleased with myself.

Author: Ceberon Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 613934 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 4/11/2005 6:25 PM
Since I threw a useless post into the thread using my sometimes silly sense of humor, I thought I should post my real to-do list. I've kept it for around 7 years on my different hand-held computers (palms, phones, etc), updating as I thought about it.

1. *DONE* Become a Scuba Instructor (OWSI)
2. Black Belt in Hapkido (In progress, paused)
3. Forge a sword, or axe, or something else way cool
4. *DONE (badly)* Make a painting
5. Brew root beer
6. Learn Tai Chi
7. Get in shape
8. *DONE* Grow Bonsai (In Progress as well)
9. *DONE* Get an aquarium (salt)
10. Write a mud game (In progress) (multi-user-dungeon)
11. Write a barcode library program for home
12. Breed moray eels (need at least 200 gallon tank)
13. Raise octopus (need at least 55 gallon tank)
14. Write a book (In progress)
15. Make a Koi/Goldfish pond in Greenhouse
16. Build a greenhouse
17. Learn how to play bagpipes
18. Learn how to play a guitar (In progress)
19. Have at least 1 child
20. Be able to retire by age 45 (In progress)

Author: hereandnow Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 613937 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 4/11/2005 6:32 PM
12. Breed moray eels (need at least 200 gallon tank)

Hey, piranha are for wussies.

Author: terminalwriter Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 613986 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 4/11/2005 9:46 PM
Actually, this reminds me of something I was discussing with some friends on another site I frequent, from "The Seven Habits of Highly Successful People":

In your mind's eye, see yourself going to the funeral parlor or chapel, parking the car, and getting out. As you walk inside the building, you notice the flowers, the soft organ music. You see the faces of friends and family you pass along the way. You feel the shared sorrow of losing, the joy of having known, that radiates from the hearts of the people there.

As you walk down to the front of the room and look inside the casket, you suddenly come face to face with yourself. This is your funeral, three years from today. All these people have come to honor you, to express feelings of love and appreciation for your life.

As you take a seat and wait for the services to begin, you look at the program in your hand. There are to be four speakers. The first one is from your family, immediate and also extended -- children, brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces, aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents who have come from all over the country to attend. The second speaker is one of your friends, someone who can give a sense of what you were as a person. The third speaker is from your work or profession. And the fourth is from your church or some community organization where you've been involved in service.

Now think deeply. What would you like each of these speakers to say about you and your life? What kind of husband, wife, father, or mother would you like their words to reflect? What kind of son or daughter or cousin? What kind of friend? What kind of working associate?

What character would you like them to have seen in you? What contributions, what achievements would you want them to remember? Look carefully at the people around you. What difference would you like to have made in their lives?

Similar, to your question, but it's more about reflecting what you want as a person, figuring out what's important to you.

I'm still thinking hard about all that. I haven't quite come up with what I'd like everyone to say.

TW

Author: blcarey Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 709634 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 5/18/2006 12:44 AM
Recommendations: 9
>>>>Actually, this reminds me of something I was discussing with some friends on another site I frequent, from "The Seven Habits of Highly Successful People">>>

Funny that you mention the Seven Habits, terminalwriter. As I was reading through this thread I was thinking of how I read the book about 17 years ago and made my first list. Since a lot of people listed financial goals such as buying a house, I thought this story appropriate to share.

At the time I was in my 20's, a kid who gew up poor on the wrong side of the tracks working a low-paying clerical job and recovering from a divorce from an abusive man who left me a lot of debt. My list contained a lot things that I thought were really "pie in the sky" wishful thinking, including going to school to obtain a BS and MBA, working my way up the corporate ladder into a management position, earning a certain salary level, owning a house, and paying off all the debt my ex left me with in addition to paying for school. And of course, living my life in accordance with the guiding principles, morals and values I had determined were important to me. Something in the Franklin Covey planning system and the Seven Habits book really hit home with me, and I broke down all of the steps and milestones I needed to achieve these goals, then I reviewed my goals every morning. I remember that the first thing I did, even though I was afraid I couldn't afford to, was put money into my 401k and $50 a month into a mutual fund. Went to school at night while working full time. Every morning I looked at my list and asked myself how badly I wanted these things, then I committed to doing just one thing that day to bring me closer to making them reality. After a while I got caught up in "living" the system and didn't need to look at my list every day, but every morning started with reflection. One day, about ten years later, I came across the original list I put together, and to my complete amazement I had achieved every single thing on that list! I had thought they were impossible and completely unreachable! On top of it all, I had a met a wonderful man and we were married right after I graduated with my MBA (with honors!). We would wake up every morning and need to pinch ourselves, then thank God for the life we had been given.

I figured it was time to create a new list of goals, and figured this time I needed to REALLY stretch, so I upped the ante and decided I would try for really silly things like reaching the executive rank in the corporate world, hitting a million dollar net worth, owning a million dollar home (with a pool of course, ha-ha), learning more about investing to get really serious about it, and of course things I wanted to do, see and experience. My husband was involved in a lot of the joint goal setting this time, but he really thought I was a dreamer! He grew up poor and "on the wrong side of the tracks" as well, so these things were just so far beyond comprehension to us. Completely unreachable dreams, but we were both committed to them and we worked the Covey system. I gave myself until age 50 to hit these goals. We hit them before I turned 40. The combined power of both of us focusing on the list was amazing. We wake up every morning and still ask each other how we got here, and thank God for the blessings he has given us.

My life-list goals haven't all been centered on the financial, lest anyone think I'm just an obsessed workaholic! Along the way I've been able to check off things like learn to scuba dive; learn to mountain climb and rappel; live all over the US (including New Orleans, and yes I've done Mardi Gras); learn to play golf, play golf at Pebble Beach, hit not just one, but TWO holes-in-one (not at Pebble Beach though ;-)!); study winemaking with an award-winning wine maker for several years; visit several European countries and many parts of Canada and Mexico; walk the red carpet in Hollywood (and have the photo to prove it!); build houses with Habitat for Humanity; improve my photography, get published, and get published in a major NY newspaper; complete the Power Squadron boating course so I could learn to chart a course manually; see my name in film credits; see and photograph the Aurora Borealis in Alaska; lose 25 pounds; be named to the list of "50 Women Making a Difference" in one of the cities I've lived in; photograph Big Horn sheep; drink wine on the beach at sunset while giving thanks for another wonderful day on a regular basis with hubby (although I did get a ticket one time - need to be careful about what beach!); receive phone calls from young people I've mentored throughout the years letting me know that I've made a difference in their lives; there are just too many wonderful things that I've been able to achieve and experience that if I were to die tomorrow at age 42 I would be grateful for the full life I'd had. I still remember my roots.

I guess my point is that no matter how unrealistic or out-of-reach you might think your goals on your life list are, if you really want them and are committed to them, you can achieve them. I still use the Frankling Covey Planning System (built around the Seven Habits) to this day, and I still start every morning with reflecting on what I want to achieve that day and how I want to live my life. I'm sure different systems work for different people and the point is just to have some sort of system/focus, but I highly recommend Steven Covey to anyone who is serious about achieving the things on their list. Absolutely nothing is impossible or out of reach!

My current list:

Keep my finances on track so I can retire early from the corporate world (targeting $2 million net worth by age 50).

Have a gallery showing of my photography.

Remember to let my husband know daily how happy I am that he is a part of my life.

Visit and photograph the Galapagos Islands and safari in Africa. There are lots of places to see still on my list, but these are the big two.

Earn enough income from my photography to make early retirement less of a financial concern.

Remember to be silly, laugh and have fun.

Keep it all in perspective; live every day in accordance with my guiding principles, values and morals.

Remember to stay grateful and thankful. Pay it forward.

Author: MethodicalFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 709719 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 5/18/2006 1:08 PM

I guess my point is that no matter how unrealistic or out-of-reach you might think your goals on your life list are, if you really want them and are committed to them, you can achieve them. I still use the Frankling Covey Planning System (built around the Seven Habits) to this day, and I still start every morning with reflecting on what I want to achieve that day and how I want to live my life. I'm sure different systems work for different people and the point is just to have some sort of system/focus, but I highly recommend Steven Covey to anyone who is serious about achieving the things on their list. Absolutely nothing is impossible or out of reach!

Inspiring!
The only limits we live with are the ones that we mentally impose upon ourselves. That truth is evident everytime I hear about stories like yours or whenever I reach a goal that I thought was unattainable. I really do believe that all of our limits are self-imposed.

I also am reminded just how complacent I've become after reading your post :-P

Author: kforred Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 756133 of 881939
Subject: Re: life lists, anyone? Date: 2/4/2007 9:21 AM
Nice to be referred to this thread from a new article. Very inspiring. I like the two men at once fantasy......one cooking, one cleaning

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (67) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement