Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 167013  
Subject: Life Saving .22 cal. Date: 1/24/2013 6:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 29
Tiny Beretta 950 "Jetfire" .22 Saves Man's Life During Bear Attack

My personal favorite survival/defense gun has always been a tiny little Beretta 950 "Jetfire" pistol that’s not much longer than a medium-sized pocket knife. It’s an extremely small, very simple, single-action, “blow back” type semi-automatic (no shell extractor) in a .25ACP caliber which can also shoot standard .22 short ammunition if loaded one at a time via the break-down barrel. Because of its extremely small size, I can easily carry it in any of my pockets along with my pocket knife and lighter without even knowing it’s there.

Over all the years I’ve been nature hiking in the northern Montana backwoods, I’ve never went out without my little Jetfire in my pocket, and I’ve never gone out alone because I’ve always followed the two cardinal rules for hikers:
(1) ALWAYS pack a very small, lightweight gun to use for signaling if you become lost, for shooting small game in the event you run out of food, and for personal defense against predators even if you’re only hoping the sound of the shot will scare them away.
(2) NEVER go hiking alone in the wilderness, and always use the “buddy system” so there will be someone to go for help if anything happens to either of you. Since it is imperative that you follow the “buddy system”, it doesn’t matter if your “buddy” is a friend, companion, spouse, or even an in-law you don’t like as long as there are always two of you for mutual support.

While nobody will argue that a well-placed shot is very effective from any type or caliber of firearm, even most “experts” will scoff at the thought of a little .25ACP or .22 short as being very effective at stopping a human – much less something 15-times as large and powerful as a full-grown grizzly bear. However, I am here to give testimony that all of you alleged “experts” are totally wrong!!!

I just safely returned from a very harrowing experience that happened during a rather short hike to only explore a possible new route to my favorite hiking trail that was less dangerous from rockslides that happen very often on my usual route. It was only about a 30 minute hike, so I only stuffed a single .22 short into the barrel of my Jetfire before slipping it into my pocket along with an 8-shot magazine of .25ACP in case I needed it. Since there was nobody else around at the time, I had to rely on my idiot brother-in-law to take along as my “buddy” for the short trip.

We hadn’t gone more than a half-mile into the heavy timber when, out of nowhere, there suddenly came a huge sow grizzly bear crashing through the brush and charging straight toward us at full speed. I guess she must have had a cub around because she was mad as hell and coming to kill both of us in an instant. There was no place to run, no time to run (can’t outrun a grizzly anyway), and I’m standing there with nothing but a tiny little Beretta Jetfire loaded with one .22 short in my hand.

Laugh if you wish at its effectiveness, but it only took one well-placed shot to my brother-in-law’s kneecap and I was able to escape a major bear attack by only walking away at a brisk pace.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

The Saddest Place on iPhone Day
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement