Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I've seen a lot of discussion about this credit, but always in situations very different from my own. I graduated from college in May of 99. The one term of classes for which my tuition was paid in 1999 came to about $6500, almost entirely from student loans that are in my own name.

I have paid well over 1/2 of my own support over 1999, so my parents can not claim me as a dependent for that year. It seems to me that I should be able to claim the Lifetime Learning Credit for the full $1000, but I haven't seen anyone else do it or discussion of it on the board, so I was hoping for some affirmation one way or the other. Am I allowed to claim this credit?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.