Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: kiddje Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 120780  
Subject: Lifetime Learning Credit Date: 2/2/2000 5:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've seen a lot of discussion about this credit, but always in situations very different from my own. I graduated from college in May of 99. The one term of classes for which my tuition was paid in 1999 came to about $6500, almost entirely from student loans that are in my own name.

I have paid well over 1/2 of my own support over 1999, so my parents can not claim me as a dependent for that year. It seems to me that I should be able to claim the Lifetime Learning Credit for the full $1000, but I haven't seen anyone else do it or discussion of it on the board, so I was hoping for some affirmation one way or the other. Am I allowed to claim this credit?

/Joe
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26856 of 120780
Subject: Re: Lifetime Learning Credit Date: 2/2/2000 8:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<< I've seen a lot of discussion about this credit, but always in situations very different from my own. I graduated from college in May of 99. The one term of classes for which my tuition was paid in 1999 came to about $6500, almost entirely from student loans that are in my own name.

I have paid well over 1/2 of my own support over 1999, so my parents can not claim me as a dependent for that year. It seems to me that I should be able to claim the Lifetime Learning Credit for the full $1000, but I haven't seen anyone else do it or discussion of it on the board, so I was hoping for some affirmation one way or the other. Am I allowed to claim this credit? >>

You don't provide enough information for a yes or no answer, but it looks promising. Get Form 8863 and work through it, posting with all the pertinent information if you have any questions.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer

Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27056 of 120780
Subject: Re: Lifetime Learning Credit Date: 2/3/2000 6:30 PM
Recommendations: 1
<< I've seen a lot of discussion about this credit, but always in situations very different from my own. I graduated from college in May of 99. The one term of classes for which my tuition was paid in 1999 came to about $6500, almost entirely from student loans that are in my own name.>>

You might also want to read my article on the Lifetime Learning Credit in the Taxes FAQ area for additional information. As Phil points out, it sounds promising, but there is just not enough information to provide a specific answer.

TMF Taxes
Roy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement