UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: haywool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 597  
Subject: lifting information Date: 9/16/2008 9:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hey there!

If I use a definition from "www.wikipedia", should I give credit that I lifted that info from them?

Gotta stay "legal" or my dad would arrest me! He's a sheriff!

Thanx,
Rich (haywool)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFMoby Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 375 of 597
Subject: Re: lifting information Date: 9/16/2008 9:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi Rich: We wouldn't want you getting in trouble with your pop. :)

The definitions either need to be copied from the Fool (articles, boards, CAPS) or need to be original. We can't copy from other sources.

We truly believe a group of Fools can create much more accurate, useful, and fun content than other sites, including other wikis. This was our primary thinking when we started planning this project.

Great question by the way.

Jeremy

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 376 of 597
Subject: Re: lifting information Date: 9/17/2008 11:18 AM
We can't copy from other sources.

How about we take generic information from public sources and the rephrase it for Foolossary?

Fuskie
Who already owes enough to his dentist...

Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 377 of 597
Subject: Re: lifting information Date: 9/17/2008 12:05 PM
Recommendations: 2
How about we take generic information from public sources and the rephrase it for Foolossary?

Fuskie,

There aren't any "generic sources" that are not protected material. Every piece of original work is copyright protected by law. That's not to say that there are no works released to the public domain, but that all rights not specifically denied or released without qualification still apply to the modern work until the expiry and non-renewal of the copyright.

You may paraphrase and put information into your own words, but if the basic structure is the same as the protected material, you are still on thin ice.

Remember when your junior high teacher caught you doing simple word substitution from the encyclopedia on your essay? It's kind of like that ;)

Richard

Author: Har1en Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 378 of 597
Subject: Re: lifting information Date: 9/17/2008 12:09 PM
Recommendations: 1
Yep.

You can also footnote those sites if you want to give them props. Simply link them [[www.somesite.com/folder/page.html]]. The wiki will automatically number the 'footnote' for you.
I added a sample to the sandbox: http://wiki.fool.com/wiki/Help:Sandbox#test_test_ahhhh_yeaaa...

H

Author: Har1en Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 379 of 597
Subject: Re: lifting information Date: 9/17/2008 12:11 PM
Argh. My link example did not have the [[http://www.somesite.com/folder/page.html]]. At least the sandbox sample is correct.

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 385 of 597
Subject: Re: lifting information Date: 9/18/2008 2:14 PM
Remember when your junior high teacher caught you doing simple word substitution from the encyclopedia on your essay?

I NEVER got caught. <grin>

My point is that there are some definitions that are pretty generic and there is only so many ways to say the same thing.

Fuskie
Who guesses he could go ee Cummings and do them in lower case as a protected creative interpretation...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement