Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
Like JAFO said.

Since you're both on the title and responsible for the payments, whoever pays gets the deduction. It may very well be to your advantage for one of you to make all the deductible payments while the other uses the standard deduction and pays nondeductible expenses like food, utilities, maintenance, etc. You really just need to sit down and pound some numbers. One of the tax software programs would be useful for this.

The important thing is that you need to do this before the payments are made. Should IRS ever come to inquire, you'd want to be able to show that the person(s) claiming the deductions actually paid. If you decide that one person is going to claim them, pay them from separate funds. If you're going to split, you can pay from a joint account, but I'd make sure that the account is funded in the same percentages as the deductions.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.