UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (94) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1976316  
Subject: Re: Schools are soft targets Date: 12/16/2012 12:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
Likewise, if a screened, mature volunteer, properly trained in the use of firearms and in the proper context for their use, were on each floor and in each wing of every school in the nation with a weapon, that would be a deterrent to someone who is moderately rational and had for some inexplicable reason entertained a thought of attacking a school. For those who are less than rational, my friend's comment: "Not really sure CCW 'prevents' crime, but it sure as hell terminates the progression of that crime each time a CCW holder acts." is entirely appropriate. Such a person at every school would sure as hell terminate the progression of any crime.

My grade school was three floors, four wings, plus administration. That is, by my count, 13 full time volunteers with guns required, 8 hours a day, 200 days a year.

My high school was a California style layout, Eight separate buildings, plus administration, plus another two wings for arts/music and home economics. Shop had another build yet. I count 12 full time voluneers with guns required, 8 hours a day, 200 days a year. These were not particularly large schools; indeed, we had to draw from three towns to get enough students to make up a student body.

Since volunteers have a nasty habit of not showing up, getting bored, being sick, you really need to have another 25-30% staffing level at the ready. You also must have someone scheduling the volunteers, or calling in replacements for sickness, and somebody has to "vet" them before you send them into the school with a gun on their hip, so add that, too.

And, when it is all over, you have more than a dozen pistol packin' Mamas and Papas standing around all day, doing nothing except occasionally getting into the middle of a schoolyard fight, which would typically end with a bloody nose instead of a bullet hole in the chest.

You can't have thought this through. Or, if you have, you have a serious hole in your thought capability.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (94) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement