Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My wife was in an investment club for 7 years and finally decided to get out of it so there are 7 K-1's for previous years (if we can find all of them.). We know how much total she put in the club from her records in Quicken and also how much she paid toward miscellaneous expenses of the club which I presume are deductible. What she put in to the club is more than she got out at the end (not including the miscellaneous contributions). I've been unable to find out how to handle this on the tax form. Do we go back to the previous K-1's and add up all the losses (minus profits) previously claim and then subtract these from her total losses (what she paid into the club and what she got back.)?

I have been unable to find out how to handle this. I've heard you have to go back and recalculate everything but don't know quite what that means. Is there something that explains how to do this in simple

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.