Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Servodog One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121144  
Subject: Limited Partnerships Date: 10/23/2000 7:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
From the article Smart Tax Planning: Taxes in your IRA? Monday Sept 11, 2000 I learned that some investments in an IRA could generate taxable income. Specifically, Limited Partnerships and LLC's. This from the UBIT.

One of the companys I had in my IRA was bought out by Prodigy. A short time later Prodigy and SBC Communications mergered and Prodigy's business and operations are operated by a limited partnership, called Prodigy Communications Limited Partnership, of which Prodigy is the general partner and owns an
approximate 57% interest, and SBC Communications owns an approximate 43% interest.

I decided to hold my investment through the bye-out and merger/alliance however I was unaware of the Limited Partnership till recently.

From the article it looks as if I should sell this holding. I am at about a 14% loss now and was not that deeply invested to begin with.

I held because since its alliance with SBC Communications Inc. Prodigy has become the nation's largest provider of retail DSL broadband Internet access to consumers and small businesses. It seemed that with the problems involved in the buildout of cable and wireless that a small holding in DSL could be profitable. Well, what a bummer when I read this article.

Does anyone of more tax knowledge know more on this subject? I have tried the IRS site and couldn't find anything helpful. What it looks like is, that I would be better off to sell my position in case of profits (wow).

Need more info before I decide the next move.

Comments please and thank you

Servos

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement