Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: gardengirl56 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 55924  
Subject: Limoncello Recipe Date: 3/4/2006 7:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Limoncello

About 10-15 lemons, preferably organic
1.5 liters vodka

Peel the lemons with a potato peeler. Try to avoid getting any of the white pth. It will make the limoncello bitter. (As an aside, this is how I make my lemon or orange zest-peel either one with a potato peeler and grind in coffee grinder that is set aside just for this purpose).

Place the peels into a gallon jug and pour in the vodka (cheap stuff works great!) Seal the jar.

Let it sit for 40 days.

At this point, add sugar syrup. You may have to play with the ratio of sugar to water, depending on how sweet you like it. I like the 6/5 ratio of water to sugar. Bring the sugar and water to a boil and boil for a minute or two. Cool completely (very important or the limoncello will be cloudy). Pour this into the gallon jug, filling to almost the top. You probably will need to make more than 6/5 cups of syrup, but I normally make about 4 gallons at a time, so I make 30/25 ;).

Let the peels, vodka and syrup sit for another 40 days (I mark the ready date on the jar).

Strain off the peels and pour into bottles.

It can be kept in the freezer, and will be slushy. It can also be stored at room temperature. I like it with club soda, sprite or limonatta (not sure of the spelling, but a lemon soda Trader Joes sells). I have friends who like to sip it plain and slushy.

This the perfect time to make it so it will be ready for summer!

Enjoy!
gg56
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement