Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19021  
Subject: Re: 401(k) company stock Date: 4/5/2000 2:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Lindy914 asks:

<<I asked and was kindly told by other, smarter fools than I that on retirement, I can roll over my 401(k) to an IRA, except the company stock in the 401(k), which should be placed in a taxable brokerage account. Will I be taxed for an early withdrawal of the stock from the 401(k)? I will be retiring at age 54.I don't plan to sell the stock for another five years or longer after I retire. I know the business about how the capital gains will be treated in this scenario, but I am unsure about the early withdrawl penalty.>>

You will be taxed on the basis (or cost) of the stock you take. If you are younger than age 55 at retirement, then you will also be assessed a 10% early withdrawal penalty on that basis. OTOH, if you will be age 55 in the year you retire and take the lump sum distribution from that plan, then the 10% penalty will not apply.

For additional details on taking stock, see my article at http://www.fool.com/retirement/manageretirement/manageretirement4.htm.

Regards..Pixy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Reestablishing the Middle Class
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement