No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a Panasonic DMC-FH25 digital camera that used to work on my Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 system. It does not work right lately. It does work on the same machine if I boot up into Windows 7 Professional. It also works on a friend's laptop running Windows 7 somethingless.

And it sort-of works on my Linux system.

What should happen is as follows:

Turn on computer (if it is not already on).
Turn on camera.
Plug cable into camera and into USB socket.
Push button on camera that says PC connection.
Box should pop up (from gThumb program) telling me what kind of camera and how many pictures, thumbnails of the pictures, and asking what to do about them, suggesting a directory where I want to put them.

This all sort of happens. The box pops up, but it says there are no pictures. (There are pictures.) If I ask what camera it is, it says there is no camera connected, but that cannot be true or the box would not have popped up.

If I look at the disk utility program, it says the camera is there but it is not mounted. If I tell it to mount the camera, it does. If I then look at the directory where the camera is mounted, it shows me the pictures. So surely the hardware is working.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement