Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My wife's family is wanting to liquidate my father in-laws estate by gifting $10K to each of the kids, over the next couple of years. The reason is, if he has some long-term medical issues, the father does not want to use up his estate for medical bills. He would like to have Medicare/Medicaid take care of the medical bills. He lives in Connecticut and wants to pass his estate on to the kids.

I used to live in California, and I believe there is a law that states if a person "gifts" there estate away within 3 yrs (?) of the medical problems, the state would go back to those recipients for the return of the gifts, before Medi-Cal would kick in. Basically, consuming the estate before making the person eligible for benefits.

Since Medi-Cal is state specific, is there something like this at the Federal level? Or Connecticut level?
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.