UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: qazulight Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1231  
Subject: Live aboard in South Florida? Date: 4/6/2007 3:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My youngest son will graduate in 2008. My wife loves beaches and snorkeling.
I think I can get a job, or get transferred to Southern Florida. I have thought about Tampa Bay, but being able to sail or motor the Bahamas or the Keys on long weekends just calls to me.

I have checked marina prices on the web and it seems possible to get a 40 foot boat and a live aboard slip at a price I might afford.

Does anyone have a take on this?

Cheers
Qazulight
Print the post Back To Top
Author: FoolNBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1183 of 1231
Subject: Re: Live aboard in South Florida? Date: 4/6/2007 4:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
http://www.sptimes.com/2007/03/16/Citytimes/Boaters_see_tieups_sl.shtml

Can't really comment from any personal experience but what I notice living here jives with the article.

FoolNBlue

Author: qazulight Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1184 of 1231
Subject: Re: Live aboard in South Florida? Date: 4/7/2007 10:22 AM
Thanks for the article. I have only been into Tampa Bay once. Came in on a 200 foot work boat. The water was beautiful.

Would exploring the barrier islands south of Tampa Bay be a worthwhile pass time? I have flown over the Bahamas. I recall seeing a boat anchored out. From 30,000 feet it looked like it was floating on air, I could see its shadow on the sea floor.

In Southeast Texas, if you can see your feet in ankle deep water, the water is clear that day. Not polluted, just very conductive to life.

Cheers
Qazulight

Author: FoolNBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1185 of 1231
Subject: Re: Live aboard in South Florida? Date: 4/7/2007 11:51 AM
Would exploring the barrier islands south of Tampa Bay be a worthwhile pass time? I have flown over the Bahamas. I recall seeing a boat anchored out. From 30,000 feet it looked like it was floating on air, I could see its shadow on the sea floor.

I kayak quite a bit and really enjoy the gulf coast waters... not as clear as waters in the Carribean but still pretty nice (coming from the East Coast). The undeveloped islands are beautiful and the conditions are usually very calm. The summer often brings red tide that clouds the water, kills marine life, pollutes the air and generally makes being on the water in its presence unpleasant. Usually the blooms start south of Tampa Bay and make their way north. Last summer there was very little red tide impact on the coastal waters around here.

FoolNBlue

Author: FlaBuckeye Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1186 of 1231
Subject: Re: Live aboard in South Florida? Date: 4/8/2007 10:50 AM
It's possible but really needs looking into. Since all the hurricanes
we've had, many marinas actually make you take your vessle out of them
if a major storm approaches. If you're looking into having a boat >30'
down here MAKE SURE you can get insurance on it. The only company I could find was Boat US and they cost as much as my house.
Give it a try and good luck. This is a great area to live and play in.
Jim

Author: qazulight Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1187 of 1231
Subject: Re: Live aboard in South Florida? Date: 4/11/2007 2:59 PM
Thanks for the comments. Just gotta get that kid off to college and wrap the job and I am outta here!!

Cheers
Qazulight

Author: SSchey Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1190 of 1231
Subject: Re: Live aboard in South Florida? Date: 5/9/2007 3:24 PM
I haven't been on the boards for a while so i hope this reply isn't too late.

I am currently living aboard a 36 ft Marine Trader is St Pete Beach. Blind Pass Marine (my home port) is the only licensed live aboard facility in the county that I know about. Their a number of marinas that operate on the "don't ask don't tell" plan.

Currently the marinas can not make you leave for a major storm, but they are allowed to do any work they deem necessary for the safety of your boat and the marina and charge you for the work. Check into what their plans are. As a liveabord I have ridden out more that one storm and spent more time re-securing other boats in the marina than anything else.

I currently have my insurance thru Internati8onal Water Safety Foundation
www.iwsf.us
Their rates are reasonable, but I can't comment on claim service since I have never filed a claim.

Most of the barrier island have been built up a long time ago, but their are still a number of wild places that are great to explore.

So come on down.

Stan

Author: qazulight Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1191 of 1231
Subject: Re: Live aboard in South Florida? Date: 6/6/2007 3:58 PM
So come on down.

Thanks, I may not get to St. Pete. Though I would like to. I am appling for a job in Panama City and one in Ft. Laurderdale. I keep hoping one will come open in Tampa Bay though.

Thanks
Qazulight

Author: FlaBuckeye Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1192 of 1231
Subject: Re: Live aboard in South Florida? Date: 6/11/2007 1:30 PM
Stan,
Have a question on iwsf. How big and what is the age of your boat?
I emailed them on mine - Marine Trader 36 (1979) and didn't get so much as a reply. It also seemed that you couldn't go as far south as the Keys in their coverage areas.
I just might try them again. Boat US is the only place I could get coverage and they are extortionists!
Thanks,
Jim
Cape Coral

Author: SSchey Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1193 of 1231
Subject: Re: Live aboard in South Florida? Date: 7/17/2007 4:01 PM
I also have a 36' Marine Trader built in 1984. Watch for the Sea Trader.

I just got my renewal notice and checked to policy area of coverage. I* am covered for the following:

Inland lakes and rivers of the continental united states and Canada.

Atlantic coastal waters from Eastport Maine to Pensacola Fl up to 12 nautical miles offshore.

Gulf Coast from Pensacola Fl to Brownsville Tx. up to 12 nautical miles offshore.

That should cover the Keys. I may be heading for Key West next week.

I have only dealt with them over the phone and by mail. I am a bit surprised that they did not respond to your e-mail, They are based in Canada so that may have had something to do with the lack of response.

If you do take a policy with them give them my number (11109A) and I may get a discount on my next bill :-)

Author: thefoolhimself Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1205 of 1231
Subject: Re: Live aboard in South Florida? Date: 5/27/2008 4:28 PM
I've lived here in beautiful South Florida for much of my life. Tampa is nice for the west coast, but for boating I would also recommend looking into New Smyrna Beach (northeast), Coconut Grove (southeast), or the florida keys. South Florida is not for everyone though, so I highly recommend visiting for a while before deciding on where to move.

Author: qazulight Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1206 of 1231
Subject: Re: Live aboard in South Florida? Date: 5/27/2008 4:56 PM
Thanks.

Its been awhile and the job I was looking at fell through. It looks as if I'll have to retire before I move to Florida. Although I may still figure a way, via bareboat, or vacation rental to spend some time on the water down there.

Cheers
Qazulight

Author: thefoolhimself Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1207 of 1231
Subject: Re: Live aboard in South Florida? Date: 5/27/2008 5:11 PM
Sorry to hear about the job situation, trust me when I say that I know how you feel. But I would highly recommend thinking about moving down at some point. I tend to try and promote the area, and scare people a bit to make sure they will really like it.

South FL gets bashed by media and its own inhabitants alike, and I feel that it is unjustified. If you ever get a chance, visit Coconut Grove and check out the famous Monty's restaurant. There's a chance you'll get hooked and decide that's where you want to live.

As with anything in life, South Florida can be whatever you make of it.

Author: qazulight Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1208 of 1231
Subject: Re: Live aboard in South Florida? Date: 5/27/2008 10:14 PM
I went through on a Coast Guard boat in the early 80's. I liked Key West, but was really impressed with Tampa. Key West was a little remote for me.

Cheers
Qazulight

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement