Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ShelbyBoy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 196739  
Subject: Live Birth Abortions? Date: 10/17/2001 7:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Is anyone familiar with this practice? Is it common? Debating abortion is one thing - even partial birth abortions. But how can this be considered anything other than criminal activity - just because the parents decide they don't want it?

If this article is accurate and this is even somewhat common - consider the irony. The story of four civilians killed by our air attacks on Afghanistan makes national news and peace protesters take to the streets - yet a practice like this is adamantly protected in the U.S. as a Constitutional right? What a country.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.cwfa.org/library/life/2001-10-12_live-birth.shtml

Excerpts:

...But now administrators informed the nurses that the hospital would provide second-trimester abortions, commonly referred to as inductions.

...This abortion procedure is performed just like a full-term, induced labor. But in these cases labor is induced before a child is able to live outside the womb. Often, the baby dies during delivery, but sometimes she is born alive, a mistake in the doctor's and parents' eyes, and left to die as her underdeveloped lungs struggle for each breath.

...She knows from talking with nurses around the country that live-birth abortion is common, and children born alive are regularly being left to die with nothing but “comfort care.” That is, if he is lucky, someone will wrap the tiny baby in a blanket and hold him until he dies.

...The live-birth abortions that she witnessed were usually done after tests had confirmed that the baby had Downs syndrome or spina bifida. “They [the parents] were afraid of the responsibility of a special-needs baby,” said Carolyn. “They just did not feel like they could handle it.”

...Rep. Neal Kedzie (R) was chief sponsor of legislation that would outlaw wrongful birth suits in Wisconsin. “I find it reprehensible that in Wisconsin parents can claim a child is somehow an injury to them,” Kedzie said in defending his legislation. “Saying death is preferable to life is discriminatory to people with disabilities.”
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: rbednarski Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62549 of 196739
Subject: Re: Live Birth Abortions? Date: 10/17/2001 8:11 PM
Recommendations: 2
"Is anyone familiar with this practice? Is it common? "

I think you are a little behind the curve on this one. I've posted on it a couple of times, most recently:

http://fireboards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=13579221&sort=username

A google search on live birth abortion will elicit many hits.

God bless,

Rich

Author: derekhelm One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62554 of 196739
Subject: Re: Live Birth Abortions? Date: 10/17/2001 8:37 PM
Recommendations: 2
They are more common than you would think. You will never hear much about them due to the fact that much of the mass media we hear is so liberal. I don't see how even people who support abortion can support such hitler-like procedures. You can thank bill clinton and all his supporters for this procedure and partial birth abortion-see:http://www.pro-life.com/news.html-President Clinton vetoes the partial-birth abortion ban act

Author: ShelbyBoy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62557 of 196739
Subject: Re: Live Birth Abortions? Date: 10/17/2001 8:59 PM
Recommendations: 0
Let's find out if live-birth abortions are supported.

Is there anyone here who will make a case for allowing live-birth abortions?

ShelbyBoy

Author: rehowes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62561 of 196739
Subject: Re: Live Birth Abortions? Date: 10/17/2001 9:35 PM

I can't even find a pole long enough to not touch this question with :)

Randall

Author: DiabloQueen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62564 of 196739
Subject: Re: Live Birth Abortions? Date: 10/17/2001 9:44 PM
Recommendations: 7

Could you please define what you mean by "supported" for some of the new posters on the board? When this issue has come up in the past, some posters have stated that any type of opposition to legislation banning those procedures, no matter how poorly or vaguely worded the legislation was, meant that someone opposing poorly written legislation meant that person advocated murdering babies.

Author: ShelbyBoy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62572 of 196739
Subject: Re: Live Birth Abortions? Date: 10/17/2001 10:24 PM
Recommendations: 1

Could you please define what you mean by "supported" for some of the new posters on the board?

Message to any new posters on the board. If you have any doubt about the word "supported" in the sentence in italics at the top of this post, please explain what you don't understand about it and I'll try and explain.

When this issue has come up in the past, some posters have stated that any type of opposition to legislation banning those procedures, no matter how poorly or vaguely worded the legislation was, meant that someone opposing poorly written legislation meant that person advocated murdering babies.

I must have missed those statements. Can you reference a post where someone indicated their opposition to such legislation was because the legislation was poorly written and then someone else claimed that opposition constituted an advocacy of murdering babies?

ShelbyBoy

Author: DiabloQueen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62575 of 196739
Subject: Re: Live Birth Abortions? Date: 10/17/2001 11:05 PM
When this issue has come up in the past, some posters have stated that any type of opposition to legislation banning those procedures, no matter how poorly or vaguely worded the legislation was, meant that someone opposing poorly written legislation meant that person advocated murdering babies.

I must have missed those statements. Can you reference a post where someone indicated their opposition to such legislation was because the legislation was poorly written and then someone else claimed that opposition constituted an advocacy of murdering babies?

Here's one blast from the past:
"One guy says he is for abortion, another says he is against. Any person who votes for Gore has the blood of the innocent children murdered by Clintons veto of the partial birth abortion bill on their hands. Because Gore has already promised to do the same. If you want to vote for a baby killer so that you can get some social program go right ahead."
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=13384781&sort=username

Not exactly what you wanted but the general idea is the same.

Author: ShelbyBoy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62604 of 196739
Subject: Re: Live Birth Abortions? Date: 10/18/2001 9:23 AM
Not exactly what you wanted but the general idea is the same.

As you said, the quote was not exactly the time you described previously. I don't recall anyone on this board saying he/she opposes abortion but opposes legislation that would limit abortion simply because the legislation is poorly worded.

The only exception is this "health of the mother" issue in some of the previous partial birth abortion bills. As has been discussed, "health of the mother" has/can be interpreted so broadly that the legislation is basically useless.

ShelbyBoy

Author: beckyz51 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62827 of 196739
Subject: Re: Live Birth Abortions? Date: 10/19/2001 11:18 PM

Shelby,

Sometimes hearing things like this is just so awful, I'm speechless.

Becky

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement