Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: LorenCobb Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 51236  
Subject: Live NOAA Climate Seminars Date: 3/9/2013 3:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 11
From time to time, I have posted notices of upcoming NCAR and NOAA seminars. I do this when I think that the abstract itself is of interest, or when I think that folks on this board might want to follow up by downloading the slides, after the seminar. I have not actually hoped that any of you would attend in person -- until now.

NOAA has built a system that will allow anyone to listen to their larger seminars remotely, simply by logging in to a live feed that is broadcast over the internet. I expect NCAR to follow soon.

Here is one that might be of interest, on a large bias that has recently been detected in land surface skin temperatures, especially here in the southwestern states of the USA.

Speaker: Jesse Meng,
NOAA National Center for Environmental Prediction

Date: Friday, March 15, 2013, 2:00 to 3:00 PM (Eastern Time)
Location: Conference Center, NOAA Center for Weather and Climate Prediction, 5830 University Research Court, College Park, MD

Abstract

Comparison of the land surface skin temperature (LST) from the National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) operational Global Forecast System (GFS) against satellite and in situ data in summer 2007 indicates that the GFS has a large and cold bias in LST over the arid western continental United States (CONUS) during daytime. This LST bias contributes to large errors in simulated satellite brightness temperatures over land by the Community Radiative Transfer Model (CRTM) and hence the rejection of satellite data in the NCEP Gridpoint Statistical Interpolation (GSI) system, especially for surface-sensitive satellite channels. The new vegetation-dependent formulations of momentum and thermal roughness lengths are tested in the GFS. They substantially reduce the large cold bias of daytime LST over the arid western CONUS in the warm season. This, in turn, significantly reduces the large biases of calculated satellite brightness temperatures found for infrared and microwave sensors in window or near-window channels, so that many more satellite data can be assimilated in the GSI system. In the arid western CONUS, the calculation of surface emissivity for microwave sensors in the CRTM can be further improved, and the new microwave land emissivity model together with increased LST via changes in surface roughness length formulations reduces biases and root-mean-square errors in the calculated brightness temperature.

Remote Access
Video:
1. Go to JCSDA Seminar <https://star-nesdis-noaa.webex.com/> and click on the seminar title
2. Enter your name and email address.
3. Enter the meeting password: JCSDAseminars707
4. Click "Join Now".
5. Follow the instructions that appear on your screen.

Audio:
USA participants: 1-866-715-2479, Passcode: 9457557
International: +1-517-345-5260

Slides available prior to, and audio recording after, the presentation at www.jcsda.noaa.gov/JCSDASeminars.php

What is skin temperature and how does it differ from ordinary air temperature? Here is an explanatory article from 2010:

www.met.sjsu.edu/~jin/paper/JinDickinson-2010-ERL-reprint.pd...

Loren
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement