No. of Recommendations: 26
I think that most of you will agree with me that tone of the board seems a little harsh right now. It's tough to spin out of a negative cycle once it starts, so I'm worried. I depend on this board (which may or may not be pathetic depending on your view) for support, laughs, and a rousing dose of 'hey there, YOUR life is not so bad. So my motivations are relatively pure (or horribly tainted, again based on your view) to try and kickstart something positive.

Now, nothing too much is going right in my life right now. And I lack the sympathetic voice to spin it all into an amusing tale. But even though the sky is both physically and metaphorically grey here, there is much that is worth while.

Why don't we all just try to live in THIS moment. The one where beginnings are always possible, the end of debt is getting closer every day, and life is looking pretty d@mn good, even though it may, well, suck, just a little. Part of my life philosophy is based on the mathematical laws of progression. The direction you take now, the patterns you put in place have a limit, a goal, an endpoint. If you add just a little bit more than the situation demands, you will get to that magical nirvana - infinity. If you always aim short, you can trudge endlessly forward and you will not meet your goal. A little 'feel good' philosophy, but mathematically sound.

foolwizard
now going off to do some studying. Life is too short to be underpaid forever... ;P
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
Why don't we all just try to live in THIS moment. The one where beginnings are always possible, the end of debt is getting closer every day, and life is looking pretty d@mn good, even though it may, well, suck, just a little. Part of my life philosophy is based on the mathematical laws of progression. The direction you take now, the patterns you put in place have a limit, a goal, an endpoint. If you add just a little bit more than the situation demands, you will get to that magical nirvana - infinity. If you always aim short, you can trudge endlessly forward and you will not meet your goal. A little 'feel good' philosophy, but mathematically sound.

Grasshopper, I see you're glass is half full.

Keep up the positive thinking.

Utahtea

No. of Recommendations: 1
The reason this board is so negative is because of a cheese imbalance..some people aren't eating any and feel deprived and cranky, and some are eating too much and are constipated and cranky...

At least, that is this llama's take on things...
No. of Recommendations: 1
Fris,

You are too funny. Label me one of those not enough cheese. (Actually it makes me sick).

I wondered why I was cranky...

Catleen
Grasshopper, I see you're glass is half full.

I never understood who was supposed to be the optimist and who was the pessimist just based on the half full / half empty. Is the optimist the one who sees the glass as half full, because it is on it's way to being totally full or at least it isn't empty. Or is the one who see the glass as half full the pessimist because the glass is only half full instead of being more than half full?

The same thing holds true for half empty. Optimist: It least it isn't totally empty. Pessimist: It's half empty now, just wait until later...

Either statement can hold both optimism and pessimism, depending on where you're coming from and where you're going, and how you choose to view this point in time relative to others.

-Dave
Who has looked at both statements optimistically, most of the time.
No. of Recommendations: 0
I never understood who was supposed to be the optimist and who was the pessimist just based on the half full / half empty

It's always been my understanding that someone who sees a glass as half full is the optimist and the one who sees the glass as half empty is the pessimist. The optimist is glad to have at least 1/2 a glass of water and the pessimist is unhappy with the glass not being full.

I'm going to really date myself, but my first awarness of this was when I saw commercials for the Peace Corps in the 1970's. They would show a glass and ask if you though it was half full or half empty. If you thought it was half full then those were the people they wanted to join the Peace Corps.

Utahtea....always the optimist with her half full glass.
I'm an engineer and we just keep half our water in a redundant glass... (stolen from Dilbert)

Leviathan
My cheese is home & I'll go there & be there for two days.
see y a later.
joycets
Who cares? It's not my glass of poison!

(I guess that makes me an indifferent pessimist?)
The realist says the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Advertisement