UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: dsemmler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 305  
Subject: Living in/around Louisville Date: 2/12/2006 1:51 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello Kentucky Fools, I just wanted to jump over here and see if I can get any feedback from current residents on their thoughts/feelings/experiences with regard to living in or near Louisville.

My DW has found the itch to move and she has been scouring the internet looking at properties for sale. Ideally, we would be looking for something with multiple acres of land and she has found a few that look promising in the vicinity of Louisville.

A quick search on Monster seems to indicate that there are a handful of jobs matching my skillset as a Documentum/Java programmer, so it is something that I would consider.

We have never really done more than pass-through Louisville, spending a night here and there on longer road trips. Therefore, I would appreciate any feedback that people can provide on the area and style/pace/quality of life in the area. For reference, we would be moving from the suburbs of Chicago.

Thanks,
dt
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMF1000 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Coverage Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star SN Explorer 1 Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 286 of 305
Subject: Re: Living in/around Louisville Date: 2/12/2006 10:25 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi dt,

There is a five acre lot with 2800 square foot with somewhat finished basement in Crestwood for sale. Crestwood is just 16 minutes from the Summit. US71 connects Crestwood with the city of Louisville. It may be further out than you want. Crestwood was listed in Money Magazine as being one of the top places to live in the US. Mainly because there is very little crime. It is a peaceful place to live.

tom e

Author: buckmizer Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 287 of 305
Subject: Re: Living in/around Louisville Date: 2/12/2006 2:30 PM
Recommendations: 2
Therefore, I would appreciate any feedback that people can provide on the area and style/pace/quality of life in the area. For reference, we would be moving from the suburbs of Chicago.

I'm not sure what kind of income you all plan to have, but if it is comparable to what you will make in the suburbs of Chicago then I would be pretty sure that your dollar will go much, much farther in the Louisville area.

You can get acreage within 20 to 25 minutes to the city--closer if you want to locate in Southern Indiana. Unfortunately, Louisville can't offer the big exposure stuff like the Bears or the Cubs. But you can enjoy going to things like Louisville Bat games or UofL basketball/football games without spending an arm an a leg.

Louisville does offer many things that other cities do like a vast array of local and chain restaurants--some that even offer live music and such. You can usually find something to do. Of course, there is the two week long Derby Festival and they have a renewed riverfront that they usually try to keep busy.

People are generally pretty friendly, though not quite as if you traveled further south.

I know a lot of programmers and they all seem to make a pretty decent living. I think that they talk a lot about "brain drain" which means they wish that more experienced people would not move to bigger cities.

I live in the suburbs so I don't have any acreage, but I would love to someday. If I was looking, I would look in Southern Indiana, or in KY in Spencer or Shelby County where there is a relatively new lake. Oldham County is a popular place, but of course, popular means higher priced.

Fred

Author: dsemmler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 288 of 305
Subject: Re: Living in/around Louisville Date: 2/13/2006 3:16 PM
Tom,

There is a five acre lot with 2800 square foot with somewhat finished basement in Crestwood for sale. Crestwood is just 16 minutes from the Summit. US71 connects Crestwood with the city of Louisville. It may be further out than you want. Crestwood was listed in Money Magazine as being one of the top places to live in the US. Mainly because there is very little crime. It is a peaceful place to live.

Thanks for the tip on Crestwood, I did a search online and I believe that I found the property that you referenced. There were a few on 5 acres that I found but only one listed around 2800 sq. feet.

Right now I drive 65 miles each way to work, luckily only 4 days per week, so being a little bit further out should not be a huge problem for me.

The DW continues to search around the country for places that interest her and now she is looking in Tennessee. The job prospects seem a little better around Louisville but I figure I will let her look around until she sets her heart on one location.

Thanks for the feedback.

dt

Author: dsemmler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 289 of 305
Subject: Re: Living in/around Louisville Date: 2/13/2006 3:25 PM
Fred,

I'm not sure what kind of income you all plan to have, but if it is comparable to what you will make in the suburbs of Chicago then I would be pretty sure that your dollar will go much, much farther in the Louisville area.

From the limited job searching that I have done at this point, the salary seems to be in the ballpark as to what I am making now. Looking at a few "cost of living" calculators, it gave me an idea of how far a specific salary would go.

You can get acreage within 20 to 25 minutes to the city--closer if you want to locate in Southern Indiana. Unfortunately, Louisville can't offer the big exposure stuff like the Bears or the Cubs. But you can enjoy going to things like Louisville Bat games or UofL basketball/football games without spending an arm an a leg.

As I mentioned to Tom, I am currently 65 miles away from work so I am not opposed to being out a little ways. The searching we have done online seems to indicate that there are some nice properties with acreage outside the Louisville area. I had not really considered Southern Indiana but that is an interesting idea.

As for the Cubs, that would be a good thing as I am a Sox fan. But if you cannot get the Cubs, you certainly cannot get the Sox. Doh! But I am sure that I can learn to live without or renew my satellite service.

I know a lot of programmers and they all seem to make a pretty decent living. I think that they talk a lot about "brain drain" which means they wish that more experienced people would not move to bigger cities.

Lol, I am looking to do the exact opposite as I think it would be nice to get away from the bigger city. For the last 5+ years, I have been doing Java programming with Documentum and noticed that Humana is in Louisville and is a Documentum customer. It would be great to transition right into another job doing exactly what I am doing now.

I live in the suburbs so I don't have any acreage, but I would love to someday. If I was looking, I would look in Southern Indiana, or in KY in Spencer or Shelby County where there is a relatively new lake. Oldham County is a popular place, but of course, popular means higher priced.

Thanks for the feedback, it really helps! Right now my DW has not settled on the Louisville area as now she is exploring Tennessee. She really hasn't isolated any specific area yet but she has the itch to move out of the state and get a nice piece of property somewhere.

I don't know if anyone here would know this, but if you have acres of property, are there any restrictions on things like riding motorbikes? One reason we would like a nice big piece of property is so our kids can ride their off-road bikes on our land, but I am not sure if that would even be permitted.

Again, thanks for the additional information and suggestions!

dt

Author: TMF1000 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Coverage Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star SN Explorer 1 Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 290 of 305
Subject: Re: Living in/around Louisville Date: 2/13/2006 7:48 PM
Hi Dt,

Tennessee is a nice place too. We almost decided to move there, but after exploring Crestwood we decided we liked it. The main thing though was all of our family was in Kentucky and we decided Tenn. was a bit too far away from everyone.

I wish you the best in your search

tom e

Author: dsemmler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 291 of 305
Subject: Re: Living in/around Louisville Date: 2/13/2006 10:44 PM
Tom,

Tennessee is a nice place too. We almost decided to move there, but after exploring Crestwood we decided we liked it. The main thing though was all of our family was in Kentucky and we decided Tenn. was a bit too far away from everyone.

Right now my DW has found a few nice properties in Hohenwald, TN that she really likes. She is trying to convince me to take a few days off of work so we can head out to see the properties in person.

Almost all of our family is here in Illinois near where we live, which is why we are looking in KY and TN. :-)

dt

Mission Team Member CAPS All Star SN Explorer 1 Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 292 of 305
Subject: Re: Living in/around Louisville Date: 2/14/2006 10:38 AM
Hi dt,

Almost all of our family is here in Illinois near where we live, which is why we are looking in KY and TN. :-)

I do understand that! I think that is what initially made us dream of Tennessee. hehehe

tom e

Author: dsemmler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 293 of 305
Subject: Re: Living in/around Louisville Date: 2/14/2006 3:09 PM
I do understand that! I think that is what initially made us dream of Tennessee. hehehe

Yeah, Kentucky and Tennessee are close enough to where we can still visit for major holidays and things but will be removed from some of the day-to-day type issues that can creep up when living so close to family.

Back when our first son was born, I passed up a job offer in Seattle and we have often thought it would have been nice to pursue that but at the time didn't want to move away. My DW and I have both lived our entire lives in the Chicago area so there is certainly an appeal to move off somewhere new.

I don't know if we will eventually make the plunge or not but it is fun doing this research.

dt

Author: steve4ky Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 295 of 305
Subject: Re: Living in/around Louisville Date: 2/15/2006 6:53 PM
While KY has been my home for many years, I would look at the taxes we pay here vs returned services. Not to mention the poor health we have in this state and who pays for all the smokers around here.

In retrospect I would look elsehwere in regards to local and state taxes.The Louisville area provides a hughe amount of the tax base for the state and yet gets nothing back from Frankfort.

And beside, both of our basketball teams are struggling this year..man o man...

Author: Haise Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 297 of 305
Subject: Re: Living in/around Louisville Date: 2/15/2006 7:39 PM

In retrospect I would look elsehwere in regards to local and state taxes.The Louisville area provides a hughe amount of the tax base for the state and yet gets nothing back from Frankfort.

I'm sure the situation is similar is just about every state with a lot of poor counties. The funny thing is that a lot of people in other parts of the state (like Paducah where I grew up) think all the tax money ends up going to Louisville, Lexington, and Northern Kentucky. Meanwhile, people in Louisville think they're getting ripped off. What gives? :)

Author: Haise Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 298 of 305
Subject: Re: Living in/around Louisville Date: 2/15/2006 7:58 PM
I think a couple of people have mentioned taxes. Southern Indiana isn't nearly as densely populated as Louisville and the taxes there are somewhat cheaper from everyone I've heard. My roommate who has just bought a small house here in Louisville even said he would consider moving to Indiana because the taxes are so much cheaper. Maybe he was exaggerating about how much cheaper it is, but it's probably worth looking into.

Personally, I like being here in the city where the traffic isn't nearly as bad and everything is close. I don't know what your commute is like in Chicago, if you have to go all the way downtown, use the train, or what. All we have for mass transit here is a bus system that I'm sure falls far short of what Chicago offers. Again, I don't know what you're used to, but just wanted to throw that out there.

Author: dsemmler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 299 of 305
Subject: Re: Living in/around Louisville Date: 2/16/2006 12:16 AM
Personally, I like being here in the city where the traffic isn't nearly as bad and everything is close. I don't know what your commute is like in Chicago, if you have to go all the way downtown, use the train, or what. All we have for mass transit here is a bus system that I'm sure falls far short of what Chicago offers. Again, I don't know what you're used to, but just wanted to throw that out there.

My commute right now is 65 miles each way driving on the highways around Chicago. It works well as my time is pretty flexible, so I leave for work early enough in the morning where I can get to work in just about an hour.

At one time I took the train downtown for a job but I now live in the western suburns and work in the northern suburbs. While the train would still work, it would take me about two hours.

Mass transit is not something we currently use and would likely not be much of an issue for us wherever we go. Regarding property taxes, we are paying quite a bit now so wherever we go is likely to be cheaper, at least with the places we have been looking.

Thanks for all of the feedback!

dt

Author: buckmizer Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 300 of 305
Subject: Re: Living in/around Louisville Date: 2/16/2006 9:52 AM
I don't know if anyone here would know this, but if you have acres of property, are there any restrictions on things like riding motorbikes? One reason we would like a nice big piece of property is so our kids can ride their off-road bikes on our land, but I am not sure if that would even be permitted.

I've never heard of restrictions, but you would probably want to evaluate the specific area. Even if there are no laws, you could cause problems with neighbors who might have horses. You would have that issue in TN as well.

Just a few other stray thoughts:

I forgot one of Louisville's most unique selling points that you really don't see driving through. We've got some great city parks.

Since you are use to a 65 mile commute, then this could really expand your search for a place to live or work. It's only 70 miles between Louisville and Lexington and only 100 miles between Louisville and Cincinnati. So, even at the most extreme, if you lived in place like Carrollton or Sparta (off of I-71) you could expand your job search to Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area.

Fred

Author: dsemmler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 302 of 305
Subject: Re: Living in/around Louisville Date: 2/21/2006 5:36 PM
I've never heard of restrictions, but you would probably want to evaluate the specific area. Even if there are no laws, you could cause problems with neighbors who might have horses. You would have that issue in TN as well.

Very good points. As you mentioned, it would be prudent to meet any potential neighbors before buying a property to feel them out on this topic.

I forgot one of Louisville's most unique selling points that you really don't see driving through. We've got some great city parks.

Thanks for the additional info.

Since you are use to a 65 mile commute, then this could really expand your search for a place to live or work. It's only 70 miles between Louisville and Lexington and only 100 miles between Louisville and Cincinnati. So, even at the most extreme, if you lived in place like Carrollton or Sparta (off of I-71) you could expand your job search to Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area.

Ideally, I would like to reduce the commute by a considerable margin if we are to move out of state. The perfect scenario would be to convince my current job to let me telecommute, but I don't think that is going to happen. But it does open more areas to search for housing!

While we have been searching, the job situation seems most appropriate around Louisville but now my DW seems to have focused on the southern TN area, a little south of Nashville. In the end, we will probably end up staying exactly where we are.

I appreciate all of the fantastic feedback provided on this board!

dt

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement