UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 884873  
Subject: Living on $12,000 a year Date: 1/3/2013 7:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Rent-free, solar powered and it even has a movie room! The couple who turned an old school bus into their home - all for just $12,000

With a $12,000 budget, a San Fransisco couple decided to turn a 39-foot school bus into their dream home - one that sleeps ten people.

To create their totally off-grid dwelling, Richard and Rachel, who haven't revealed their last names, mounted six solar panels on the roof of the bus, installed a compost toilet, solar fridge and freezer and a propane-fed catalytic heater, stove and oven.

Rachel, who says they live rent-free, paying just $100 per month for maintenance, admitted that family and friends were 'confused' by their decision.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2256642/Rent-free-...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870097 of 884873
Subject: Re: Living on $12,000 a year Date: 1/3/2013 9:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
I save a lot of money so I don't need to live on a school bus.

Author: snippee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870103 of 884873
Subject: Re: Living on $12,000 a year Date: 1/3/2013 9:54 PM
Recommendations: 1
I thought for sure you were gonna say, "$12,000 is not a lot of money."

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870106 of 884873
Subject: Re: Living on $12,000 a year Date: 1/3/2013 10:17 PM
Recommendations: 5
I thought for sure you were gonna say, "$12,000 is not a lot of money."

I was tempted.

The problems with threads like this one is that there is some who think LBYM is some contest on who can live the cheapest. IMO, it is trying to prioritize your spending and saving for the future while living a full life along the way. Living in a school bus is not something I aspire to.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870108 of 884873
Subject: Re: Living on $12,000 a year Date: 1/3/2013 10:45 PM
Living in a school bus is not something I aspire to.

especially one that sleeps ten people.

Author: JimP102 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870192 of 884873
Subject: Re: Living on $12,000 a year Date: 1/7/2013 4:27 AM
one that sleeps ten people.

----------------------------

Bad. Relatives will come to visit.

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870194 of 884873
Subject: Re: Living on $12,000 a year Date: 1/7/2013 6:31 AM
"Living in a school bus is not something I aspire to."

It was good enough for the Partridge Family.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870196 of 884873
Subject: Re: Living on $12,000 a year Date: 1/7/2013 12:12 PM
"Living in a school bus is not something I aspire to."

It was good enough for the Partridge Family.

It was a tour bus, they did have a house.

Author: MissEdithKeeler Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870210 of 884873
Subject: Re: Living on $12,000 a year Date: 1/7/2013 7:34 PM
Recommendations: 0
You know, I'm all for people that find alternative ways of living. But I've noticed in a lot of these stories, the people who really do it super cheap seem to get a lot of "help." I recently read a book by a woman who, with her husband, built and live in a "tiny house," something like 200 square feet. Which I think it cool. And they don't have a car, but use bicycles.

EXCEPT: They are using someone else's property (their backyard, actually) to park their tiny house on. I think they pay a token amount of rent, but they still have some help. Also they get rides from people when needed, etc. It also occurred to me after I read the book that there was no mention of how they did laundry.

In this story about the bus, the people don't have a shower "and plumbing is next on their list - they currently wash dishes with vinegar and shower in other locations every two to three days." So are they showering at people's houses for free? Going to the Y? Again, what about laundry?

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870212 of 884873
Subject: Re: Living on $12,000 a year Date: 1/7/2013 7:48 PM
Recommendations: 3
shower in other locations every two to three days." So are they showering at people's houses for free? Going to the Y?

Could be RV camps. You pay a fee and can get electrical hookup and the right to a shower in the morning.

I used to do my laundry at the laundromat, and I had an apartment.

But yes, I've noticed that a lot of people who boast about how they have simplified their life and cut expenses are actually dependent on others. People who dumpster dive are depending on other people to throw out necessities. People who insist that buying a new car is a waste, and that everyone should buy a used car are, in fact, dependent on other people buying new cars (and keeping the automotive industry alive). If there were no new cars being bought, there wouldn't be used cars to buy.

It's nice to see that people can pare down their lives and learn to do without things. It's a worthy goal and I know that many people feel that they have freed themselves from depending on "stuff." But I hope that they remember that without other people keeping companies alive, life would be a lot more difficult.

Nancy

Author: kirbivore One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870532 of 884873
Subject: Re: Living on $12,000 a year Date: 1/16/2013 10:32 AM
I wonder if they ghost ride the bus?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPNJjL9iznY

Author: hunnypot1 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870784 of 884873
Subject: Re: Living on $12,000 a year Date: 1/22/2013 12:46 PM
No mention of auto insurance costs either. Medical insurance?

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870840 of 884873
Subject: Re: Living on $12,000 a year Date: 1/23/2013 10:00 PM
Also the police cannot search your vehicle without a warrant when it has RV status,' Richard explained.

I can't help buy wonder why that's important to them.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870841 of 884873
Subject: Re: Living on $12,000 a year Date: 1/24/2013 2:16 AM
Recommendations: 6
Also the police cannot search your vehicle without a warrant when it has RV status,' Richard explained.

Actually it is important to all of us. It's one of our constitutional rights.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870844 of 884873
Subject: Re: Living on $12,000 a year Date: 1/24/2013 11:34 AM

Still, it isn't something that most think about. Worrying about if police will search my car hasn't ever made it on my list.

It is like the bail bond commercials. A women's husband is in jail and she doesn't know what to do. Oh, I ask my sister, she knows. (After all she married the bum who is constantly in need of bail.)

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870848 of 884873
Subject: Re: Living on $12,000 a year Date: 1/24/2013 6:08 PM

True. But it's not something that plays a factor in my housing or driving choices. I've always assumed that the police would never be so bored as to want to search my house or car.

Author: JustJoe1 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870851 of 884873
Subject: Re: Living on $12,000 a year Date: 1/24/2013 9:52 PM

So is the right to bear arms.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement