UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFSynchronicity Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35345  
Subject: Re: compare real tax rate versus marginal rate Date: 1/1/2001 12:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
ljkutten wrote:
I disagree with your analysis. To me the issue is not the marginal rate, but how much money is left in my pocket at the end of the day.

Actually, you agree with my analysis. :-) (Or mabe I agree with your analysis, depending on one's point-of-view)

We're trying to determine the exact same thing (how much money is left in my pocket at the end of the day). I was simply pointing out that, in many (most) instances, you need to apply the marginal rate to determine that amount.

you still have to always crunch the numbers.

1. Assume your net income is $105,950. The tax on this amount is $23,965. You are left with a net income of $81,975. (This is a given from the IRS Tax Tables)

Your rich uncle just left you $55,000. Any taxable income generated by this amount is subject to the 31% marginal rate.

According to Vanguard's website today (12/31/00), the Federal Money Market fund pays 6.5%, while the tax exempt municipal fund pays 4.4%.

In such a case, you are correct. You would choose the taxable fund, rather than the tax-exempt fund. And as you note, you would use the marginal rate in making this calculation, rather than your overall tax percentage on all income. (Now, if you had 15,000 in taxable income (all wages), and an additional 100,000 in interest (which would mean somewhere over 1.5 million in principal. Such problems we should have), you would care about the overall rate on that 100,000 (part of which would 15%, part would be 28%, and a small part would be 31%)

FWIW, many people will find themselves better off investing in a taxable fund rather than the tax-exempt fund. Why? Because the vast majority of investors in tax-exempt instruments are at very high marginal tax rates.

A quick calculation on the numbers you showed above reveals that anyone paying at less than a 32% tax rate (32.3%, to be precise) is better off investing in the taxable fund than the tax-exempt fund.

(Also, most "tax-exempt" funds are only expempt at the federal level, although some will also be exempt in various states)

We are perhaps approaching the issue from two different perspectives. I believe my approach is correct and you believe your approach is correct.

I think we are trying to do the same thing, but approaching it from different angles. You are definitely correct in that the important thing is "how much money do you have left in your pocket at the end of the day." I have written essentially the same thing in a few articles. For example, from http://www.fool.com/workshop/1999/workshop991021.htm

"Earning 15% after taxes is always better than earning 10% tax-free. If you are investing to make money, it's more important to maximize your net return than to minimize your taxes."

I don't know you and you don't me

True. Thanks for the rundown of your credentials and the link provided (checked it out quickly, looks like an intersting site). FWIW, I'm allegedly a "tax professional", in that I'm a also a lawyer (J.D.) with an LL.M. in tax law (schools are listed in my profile, if you're curious). I currently work for a large corporation on international tax issues, although that's corporate, not individual. I should note that my "official" duties at the Fool do not currently include anything in the tax area; that area is covered by Roy Lewis (TMFTaxes) and Phil Marti (TMFExRO).

I think we are agreeing on the analysis to be applied. I was concerned by your response in post 1217, which seemed to imply that you would use a different methodology than what you presented in post 1219.

Any further discussions might be minor technical points, so perhaps we should continue this by email if you wish. If the prior several posts on these points have confused anyone else, feel free to post on the board. Again, I think we're saying the same thing from two different angles.

hope this helps,

-synchronicity
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement