Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am thinking of investing in some residential and
commericial rental property and would like to
structure my affairs to optimize tax savings and
limit liability.

I've been told by a tax specialist that one could
own the rental property through a LLC with two C corporations as the members. Since the LLC is a pass through entity for Tax purposes, the corporations would receive the rental income as "active income" rather than "passive income". The reason for doing this is to avoid the onerous Personal holding company designation that would result from owning the property in a C corporate entity.

My intention is to acquire assets over the long term
and as I am pretty young (22 years old. Could anyone
please point out any flaws in this strategy and things
I should be mindful of. I am interested in constructuve advice on how this could work rather than
getting some advice to forget about it and owning the
property in my name. I have crunched through the numbers and the tax savings will be significant over time as my goal is to acquire assets.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.