Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I've just formed an LLC as follows:

Members : 6
Taxation Treatment : Partnership
Purpose : An investment group holding a portfolio of stock in a company that has not gone public (yet).
Cost : $1700

An accountant told us that we were required to file a form 1065 with the IRS and distribute K-1s, regardless of wether we had a profit or loss.

The way I read the IRS info is that an LLC (partnership) is not required to file form 1065 and distribute K-1s unless they have income, or a loss they WANT to claim (ie. we could forget the startup cost and not be required to file).

Which is correct?

The same accountant also told me that the $1700 startup cost (paid by me) had to be distributed evenly to all members in the LLC and amortized over a 60 month period.

Is that true, or can the $1700 be added to my basis in the partnership, without spreading it over 5 years?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.