No. of Recommendations: 0
I promised to give my son the down payment on a home. When the market was up I felt it was no problem. Well, now it has tanked and my available cash has also. I am wondering if I can borrow against my Roth IRA. I am 70 years old - 70 1/2 actually. However, I converted from a traditional IRA 12/98 and spread the taxes out over four years. Is there any way I can do this? Can I use it as collateral or something? Most of my other investments are in tax deferred accounts and I will be hit with a tremendous tax bill. I am still working but will probably retire next year. Help! Any suggestions you can give me will be appreciated. My son has just gotten his loan approval and now I need to get the downpayment together as I promised him I would after his loan was approved. Will appreciate any ideas as to the best way to do this. Thanks.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.