Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Lobot writes:
I live with my significant other, whom I support financially %100. We're not married and not relatives (that would be gross). No one else lives with us. My questions are:

1) Can I claim my SO as a dependent?

Probably so. If your SO is a US citizen, single, has gross income of less than $2650 during the year, and lived with you as a member of your household for the whole year, and if you provided more than half of his/her total support for the year, you can probably claim your SO as a dependent. (See IRS Publication 501 at http://www.fedworld.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf ).

2) Can I file as head of household?

No, since your SO is not related to you. (See page 6-7 of Publication 501.)

3) If I can do either one of these, will I need to prove that I support my SO financially? if so, what do I need in order to prove this?

You won't have to prove the "half of total support" on your tax return itself, but you probably will if you're audited. Publication 501 has several examples of the support test, and a worksheet for determining whether you meet it.

- Darrell (not a tax expert)
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement