Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
“Local broker” usually translates into a full service broker which usually means high transaction costs and often proprietary mutual funds with loads and high expenses. There are some exceptions, however. Schwab has local offices and are highly regarded, Scottrade is primarily an online broker, but, does have local offices.
There are also banks and credit unions that also provide an investing branch or affiliation. It sounds as if that is who currently has your account.
That leaves the mutual fund companies and the discount brokers although there may not be a clear distinction between the two since many mutual fund companies that sell direct also have a brokerage service and mutual funds are available through discount brokers. I would guess that most at the Motley Fool use a discount broker or deal with a fund company or both (like me).
The decision between these two probably depends on what you intent to invest in. If you will primarily be investing in individual stock then probably a discount broker is where you should be looking. If you will be investing in mutual funds (index or other) then perhaps you should be considering mutual fund companies. Vanguard, Fidelity, and T Rowe Price come to mind. More information about discount broker can be obtained from the Discount Brokers board at the Fool. I should point out that mutual fund purchases through a broker often comes with a transaction fee that would not be incurred if purchased direct from the fund company.

Bob
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement