UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mcbdds Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 744402  
Subject: London 2 Date: 10/4/2012 10:58 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
Slept late, up at 8:00, exhausted from yesterday's journey. DW feeling poorly so I went down stairs had some poached eggs, mushrooms steamed tomatoes, and something that may have been nonfat yogurt with my granola.
Off to the Natural History Museum. Down Brompton Road, ducked into the Brompton Oratory
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brompton_Oratory
Found a niche, lit a candle, said a prayer, sat in the cool damp stillness and enjoyed the peace. Out into bright light, young worker bees by the thousands, buzzing to to get to their work hives by 9:00. Frantic, but still able to text, comb their hair and cross the road in an impressive display of youthful multitasking.
Masons, carpenters, plumbers, painters, roofers, climb iron lattice scaffolds and set about the endless restorations of the Edwardian and Georgian grand ladies that line the street. The edifices are no longer coated in the accumulated black soot of the past few centuries. The brick work is crisp red and orange with pure white stone margins. London seems cleaner than I remember. The streets, mews, and alleys are free of graffiti and trash.
Enter the museum at a side entrance
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/
off of Exhibition Road head through the Geology and Gem section straight up to the Paleo. I was the only one in the entire hall ( shocking I know ). I thought my museum was big, but this place is about 7 times the size. Absolutely massive. I have met researchers from here passing through my museum and Invert researchers working in the collection vaults. It's nice to see their facilities, truly impressive!
Stopped off at the British Geological Society to buy some geology posters of William "Strata" Smith
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Smith_(geologist)
for my geology buddies at the lab.
Back to the hotel, picked up my sleepy, gimpy wife got her some air and spinach soup for lunch.
My son and DIL arrive tomorrow. Walked down to The Cadogan on Sloan Street
http://www.cadogan.com/
to make reservations Saturday for their 3rd wedding anniversary dinner party. The Cadogan is one of our special places in town. It has been renovated in the last few years but they managed not to muck up the 19th century stodginess of the place. The restaurant used to be called Langtrys after the late great Professional Beauty Lillie Langtry, part time squeeze of Edward VII.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lillie_Langtry
It was here, also, that Oscar Wilde was arrested for buggering a superfluous aristocratic second son. The arrest was mainly for bad manners, not so much for buggery.
While waiting to make reservations a small pod of ancients, 7 or so, we're having whiskey and waiting to be led into lunch. Impeccably dressed in cashmere sweaters and Herringbone jackets, school ties, Ferragamo shoes, and smelling of cherry tobacco pipe smoke. They were talking of the Africa Campaign.
Their conversation was pure music.

mcb
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 646930 of 744402
Subject: Re: London 2 Date: 10/4/2012 11:01 AM
Recommendations: 0
You almost make me wish I had gone to London instead of Prague a few weeks ago. But it sounds like you're spending more per night on your posh digs than we did for the entire two weeks. What is the proper tipping procedure for a liveried footman?

Good reports and I wish you a continued good trip.

--fleg

Author: mcbdds Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 646933 of 744402
Subject: Re: London 2 Date: 10/4/2012 11:11 AM
What is the proper tipping procedure for a liveried footman? fleg

Thanks fleg. I don't know. I think the butler handles that sort of business.

mcb

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 646934 of 744402
Subject: Re: London 2 Date: 10/4/2012 11:15 AM
"DW feeling poorly so I went down stairs had some poached eggs, mushrooms steamed tomatoes, and something that may have been nonfat yogurt with my granola." Mcbdds

----------------------

Or curdled milk.

I didn't see in your post where you go snorkeling on a crystal clear coral reef and see lots of tropical fish, sea turtles, dolphins, and sea birds? Palm trees? White sandy beaches? Luau? Whole roast pig cooked over a bed of coals?

What's the point of going on vacation if there's no place to go diving?

Artie

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 646935 of 744402
Subject: Re: London 2 Date: 10/4/2012 11:16 AM
If you had gone to Maine you could have stuffed your face with lobster. I hear they're cheap this year.

Just saying.....

Art

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 646947 of 744402
Subject: Re: London 2 Date: 10/4/2012 11:38 AM
Recommendations: 1
Nice report. I wonder what happened to fleg's ...

I'll have to visit that museum if I get back to London. Only been to the British Museum so far.

arrete - geology B.S.

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 646960 of 744402
Subject: Re: London 2 Date: 10/4/2012 12:08 PM
<Nice report. I wonder what happened to fleg's ...

Still working on it. I can't believe how long the jet lag has been affecting us. Night before last we got our first full night's sleep at normal hours (midnight to 8 for me) but then we both crashed hard in the middle of the day yesterday. I can accept that I might be all screwed up in general, but when it happens to DW in synch with me, then I know it must be due to a shared experience. I recall that when I came home from Portugal a week after DW's return, she had just gotten over it and it took me almost a week. Anyway, please stand by...

--fleg

Author: mcbdds Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 646968 of 744402
Subject: Re: London 2 Date: 10/4/2012 12:29 PM
Recommendations: 3
What's the point of going on vacation if there's no place to go diving?
Artie

Use to do a lot of diving years ago. Maui, Kauai, Molokai, and the Big Island. I'm old enough now to know that one slight cut and I'm chum. I no longer do things that can kill me in unpleasant ways. Foie Gras in a 2 star is about as risky as I get now a days. I need to see grandchildren live long enough to make bad life choices.

mcb

Author: mcbdds Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 646975 of 744402
Subject: Re: London 2 Date: 10/4/2012 12:41 PM
I'll have to visit that museum if I get back to London. Only been to the British Museum so far.
arrete - geology B.S.

Arrete I breezed through the rock and gem section on my way to fossils, but was amazed at the size and depth of the collection. My son is a rock hound and I'll take him there Sunday.
It's nice to be away from American politics even if it just for a few weeks.

mcb

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 647011 of 744402
Subject: Re: London 2 Date: 10/4/2012 2:58 PM
"I need to see grandchildren live long enough to make bad life choices." - mcb

In my case that job belongs to my baby sister. She drives me nuts.

Artie

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement