UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: CindyC72 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 20938  
Subject: London - off the beaten path? Date: 9/10/2000 10:30 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi all!

I am going to be visiting a friend in London next month, and was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions/recommendations of anything neat to see that I might not know about from the travel books and such.

I am going to have a full week of wandering about the city - can't wait!!

Cindy
who has passport, tickets, and is ready to go NOW!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFJudy Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1055 of 20938
Subject: Re: London - off the beaten path? Date: 9/12/2000 1:44 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Cindy says: I am going to be visiting a friend in London next month, and was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions/recommendations of anything neat to see that I might not know about from the travel books and such.
==========
Hi Cindy,

Did you know that we have a Fool UK site? I think that people who live in London might be a good source of information for you, especially for those hidden, special places which only residents of a city know about.

I see that there's a board called Holiday Ideas and Advice:
http://boards.fool.co.uk/Messages.asp?bid=50959

This might be the board for you!

Have fun.
Judy

Author: CindyC72 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1056 of 20938
Subject: Re: London - off the beaten path? Date: 9/12/2000 7:32 AM
Recommendations: 1
Hi Cindy,

Did you know that we have a Fool UK site? I think that people who live in London might be a good source of information for you, especially for those hidden, special places which only residents of a city know about.

I see that there's a board called Holiday Ideas and Advice: http://boards.fool.co.uk/Messages.asp?bid=50959

This might be the board for you!

Have fun.
Judy

Thanks!! I knew about the Fool UK site, but hadn't even thought of it from a travel planning standpoint! I will take a look!

Thanks again
Cindy

Author: CygnetF1 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1088 of 20938
Subject: Re: London - off the beaten path? Date: 9/21/2000 4:42 PM
If you are going to be here on the first Wednesday in October, you must come to the monthly Fool Social.

The Foolish Social Events board is here:
http://boards.fool.co.uk/messages.asp?bid=50929

... and the FAQ for that board (which has the time, location, and a map) is here:
http://boards.fool.co.uk/Message.asp?id=2330006000311000

If you read back on that board a bit, you'll find moderately accurate descriptions of previous evenings, and you'll also see there's another travelling US Fool thinking of coming along.

If you are a foodie, there's a board all about places to eat:
http://boards.fool.co.uk/Messages.asp?bid=50930

And this thread might be helpful:
http://boards.fool.co.uk/Message.asp?mid=5855923

Maybe you are here already, and not reading this message!

Have a nice time

CygnetF1
(London)

Author: CindyC72 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1089 of 20938
Subject: Re: London - off the beaten path? Date: 9/21/2000 4:44 PM
If you are going to be here on the first Wednesday in October, you must come to the monthly Fool Social.

Dang, I will be there later in the month! But thanks so much for the invitation! :)

Cindy

Author: AAAAmanda Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1094 of 20938
Subject: Re: London - off the beaten path? Date: 9/24/2000 6:45 AM
It isn't exactly off the beaten path, but you realy should go to Leichester Square (spelling uncertain) and get yourself some discounted tickets to a play and/or musical. They open around 11, but you should get there around 10. If you are among some of the first in line (there's about three discount shops, check prices), you can get some rediculously fantastic seats at a steep discount, the day of the play.

Your friend should know what I'm talking about. It's practically an institution, popular with students and other folks without tons of money to burn.

AAAAmanda

Author: scoutthedog One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1103 of 20938
Subject: Re: London - off the beaten path? Date: 10/4/2000 8:45 AM
Try to get out of London, the trains are not as bad as most Londoners would have you believe and are cheaper after the rush hour. Also try the Eurostar to Paris for (I think, about $100) and you are there in 3 hours city centre to city centre so it makes a good day (or overnight trip) www.eurostar.com.

By the way, Leicester Square (correct spelling!) is an embarrassment to us Londoners, full of beggars and generally downmarket.

Head off to Brick Lane on a Friday night for a curry.

Avoid the Dome at all costs.

Greenwich makes a good day trip (a bit touristy but still worth a visit) take a boat from westminster pier.

And above all go on the London Eye, the worlds biggest ferris wheel http://www.britishairways.com/londoneye/

Have a good trip.

Author: CindyC72 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1104 of 20938
Subject: Re: London - off the beaten path? Date: 10/4/2000 3:07 PM
Try to get out of London, the trains are not as bad as most Londoners would have you believe and are cheaper after the rush hour. Also try the Eurostar to Paris for (I think, about $100) and you are there in 3 hours city centre to city centre so it makes a good day (or overnight trip) www.eurostar.com.

By the way, Leicester Square (correct spelling!) is an embarrassment to us Londoners, full of beggars and generally downmarket.

Head off to Brick Lane on a Friday night for a curry.

Avoid the Dome at all costs.

Greenwich makes a good day trip (a bit touristy but still worth a visit) take a boat from westminster pier.

And above all go on the London Eye, the worlds biggest ferris wheel http://www.britishairways.com/londoneye/

Have a good trip.

Thanks!! Had no interest in the Dome at all, so good to have that confirmed! <g> Planning on a day trip up (Over? down? where is that map...) to Bath, which I am looking forward to. And the Ferris Wheel is on the list!

Cindy

Author: scoutthedog One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1106 of 20938
Subject: Re: London - off the beaten path? Date: 10/5/2000 10:46 AM
Recommendations: 1
You may have to book the ferris wheel as soon as you arrive, or before if you can. It isn't possible to buy tickets by just turning up. This catches a lot of people out.

The telephone number is on the web site but I think it may be a premium rate number which may not be accessible from outside the US.

The cost is about £7 ($10) a person.

It goes around at walking pace so you get a 30 minute ride. (personally, I think they should make it spin really, really fast one day a week)

regards

Author: grinninfool Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1116 of 20938
Subject: Re: London - off the beaten path? Date: 10/10/2000 9:40 PM
BEst way out of London seems to be EasyJet. Especially if leaving during the week and if you are flexible. I have been comparing all options and have decided I'll escape the UK for the mainland on an EasyJet flight from London to Amsterdam for £27 ($40 or so)! seems to beat any other option (and gets me further).

I'm in Edinburgh now. Definitely visit this city if you're in the UK. Great!

Author: CindyC72 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1119 of 20938
Subject: Re: London - off the beaten path? Date: 10/10/2000 10:53 PM
BEst way out of London seems to be EasyJet. Especially if leaving during the week and if you are flexible. I have been comparing all options and have decided I'll escape the UK for the mainland on an EasyJet flight from London to Amsterdam for £27 ($40 or so)! seems to beat any other option (and gets me further).

I'm in Edinburgh now. Definitely visit this city if you're in the UK. Great!

I'll have to remember this! Won't be making any out of UK trips while I am there, but if I go back, I may make London my staging point!

Cindy
3 days to go!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement