Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: bk57 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: long loss offset short gain 1 to 1? Date: 10/10/2013 3:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Do long term losses offset short term gains 1 to 1 or are they prorated by the difference in tax rates for cap gains vs ordinary income if the rates are different?
Thanks.

ps. i have read a couple posts by ptheland from may this year and the link to a 99 post. i do understand about netting each term first. for simplicity lets assume only two trades: one long term loss and one short term gain and not worry about which is larger.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119283 of 121061
Subject: Re: long loss offset short gain 1 to 1? Date: 10/10/2013 3:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Do long term losses offset short term gains 1 to 1 ...?

Yes. You can see how it works on Schedule D.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119284 of 121061
Subject: Re: long loss offset short gain 1 to 1? Date: 10/10/2013 3:47 PM
Do long term losses offset short term gains 1 to 1 ...?

Yes.

--Peter

Author: bk57 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119285 of 121061
Subject: Re: long loss offset short gain 1 to 1? Date: 10/10/2013 11:28 PM
Thanks guys!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement