Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Technodweeb Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 214659  
Subject: Long Term Cap Gains change with AMT? Date: 10/4/2012 10:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Does anyone have experience with AMT (Alternative Minimum Tax), with regards to long term capital gains? This is the USA tax thing. From what I understand, if your income (which includes cap gains) goes over a certain amount, you may be subjected to a different tax structure.

The only thing that I am trying to find out, which has not been easy after looking around the IRS and various sites, is if long term cap gains are currently capped at a 15% tax rate, can that rate go higher with the AMT tax structure? I understand that the taxes themselves will be higher as you loose certain exclusions such as standard deductions, and some others. I just can't find a piece stating that the cap gains would still be held at 15%. From what I found, they are going up into the 20%+ area (which of course sucks if that is true).
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Technodweeb Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 194659 of 214659
Subject: Re: Long Term Cap Gains change with AMT? Date: 10/4/2012 10:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Sorry, I forgot to put the OT (off topic) in front of the subject.

Author: jkm929 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 194660 of 214659
Subject: Re: Long Term Cap Gains change with AMT? Date: 10/4/2012 10:56 PM
Here is the Alternative Minimum Tax form.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f6251.pdf

jkm929

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement